Steev Hise's Reviews > Modem Times 2.0

Oct 26, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: fun, novels, own-it
Read from January 30 to February 02, 2012 — I own a copy

When I was a kid I used to be a big Michael Moorcock fan, especialy his Elric of Melnibone books. But in retrospect I now recognize most of his output as SF and Fantasy "trash." Swords-and-Sorcery pulp. It's nice that Moorcock is now this outspoken anarchist radical, but that's probably the only reason PM Press has published this book. The title story is a weird sort of experimental plotless reverie featuring one of Moorcock's signature heroes, Jerry Cornelius, of which I read a lot of back in the day as well. But this story is mostly just a bland rant about gentrification and change and the good old days. It's written as a huge number of tiny sections, each one a weird little vignette where Jerry is somewhere in the world with some subset of a cast of odd sidekicks, musing or complaining about how this or that place or neighborhood has really changed and oh what a shame that is. But nothing really happens. It's a bit like Moorcock is just phoning this in. Then, after "Modem Times 2.0", there's a memoir sort of piece called My London in which Moorcock describes growing up in post-war England. Not something you hear much about these days so it's interesting, in a way much more interesting than the Jerry Cornelius "story." But overall, the book is just kind of underwhelming.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Modem Times 2.0.