Kathrynn's Reviews > The Darkest Pleasure

The Darkest Pleasure by Gena Showalter

** spoiler alert ** The only way I can describe what I didn't like about this book is with spoilers, so be wary...

The premise was my least liked plot--ever. Death "warrant" (sort of) was placed on Danika and her family by the gods in book #2 of this series. She morphed from sweet and innocent to believing--with a few courses in self-defense--she could kick the demons butt (Aeron) that was after her. The constant love/hate that went on between the h/h was annoying. Danika's agreement to act as Bait for the Hunters' had me not liking her. Reyes wants her, but afraid he'll ruin her/won't let her go/but keeps her at a distance/can't wait to see her...all this turns me right off a book.

Black hair dye does not wash out in two shampoos!

I hated the fact that Reyes had to have pain to experience pleasure. Big (BIG) sad face on that alone. His demon was pain. He jumped off a building to experience the pain of shattered bones while the others joked about hiding his internal organs--like they did an earlier time. Yuck.

Top all that with the author using filler to re-tell what just happened was annoying, imo. The author did a fine job refreshing events in earlier books. I've read a "few books" since and it was good having the details again. But, there was no need to re-explain what I just read in this book. Argh!

Throughout most of The Darkest Pleasure, Paris (demon: promiscuity) story gets set up. For me, doubtful I will continue this series. I'm so burned out on paranormal books that they really have to be exceptional to hold my interest and a book about a man who can't have sex with the same person twice (male/female) is a another big turn-off for me. If I don't like the characters, I'm not going to like the book.

Bummer

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Darkest Pleasure.

03/18/2009 page 109
29.62% "Have mixed emotions on it. So far, neither character has captured my attention (or interest). Yikes!" 1 comment
03/19/2009 page 368
100.0% "Struggle for me to read."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Auntee (new) - added it

Auntee Okay, this series will 'keep' for a while...

Miss Kim Yeah, I didn't think the series was that hot, but I did like the third one best. I don't know if I will read book 4 either.

Corrine This was my least favorite as well. Something about the heroine masturbating the hero while sticking him with a knife, and feeling the warm blood on her hand... gag, blech, shudder.

Miss Kim The whole pleasure pain thing was wierd.

message 5: by Teryl (new)

Teryl That is just gross. Gives me that nails on the chalkboard feeling.

message 6: by Inara (new)

Inara I just KNEW after the first book I ever read by this auhthor I would never read a second one.. now I feel confirmed in my opinion!