Brendygirl's Reviews > Gluten-Free Cupcakes: 50 Irresistible Recipes Made with Almond and Coconut Flour

Gluten-Free Cupcakes by Elana Amsterdam

Oct 26, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: cooking-gluten-free
Read in October, 2011

I didn't like this book. I only got it as a part of a prize basket in a charity silent auction. It retails for $17 and that price is unsuitable. The recipes are overly complex and require uncommon ingredients. Also, she includes her own very specific choices for ingredients (such as agave nectar and grapeseed oil), which I did not have in my kitchen and felt obligated to try for the book. I choose to use plain white sugar, honey, or raw sugar- but I was not confident in how to substitute these. In fact, it would have been nice if she'd have offered measurements for more multiple sugar choices, oil choices, etc. when she put those unique ingredients in the recipe. Oh, and don't even get me started on coconut flour. I went to two stores and neither had it. Do you know the average number of flours that gluten free people have? And how much they cost? I almost threw the book away when I saw that. Plus, with all the gf flour blends out there, do you really think one straight flour will taste right? All those people buy and mix and blend flours all for naught?
I am throwing a party this weekend and definitely do not feel comfortable trying one of these recipes for a "regular" crowd, who are unaccustomed to the "different" flavors and textures that one gets used to once becoming gluten free.

I have NO interest in VEGAN frosting. It is a pet peeve of mine when food-stressed people are already accommodating gluten free into their diet, then to add vegan and other adjustments is just overboard. If it's in the book as an option, fine. But, with such specific flavors of cake, and with all the work and shopping involved, I feel silly putting the same canned frosting I use on boxed mixes.

My gluten free philosophy is to make gluten free just like the "regular" kind, except gluten free. It's a cupcake, people. It's NOT health food. If you want to be healthy, eat a nut. Don't read a recipe book written by one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gluten-Free Cupcakes.