Rachel's Reviews > Amelia Bedelia and the Baby

Amelia Bedelia and the Baby by Peggy Parish

Oct 26, 11

Easy-to-read: Peggy Parish's Amelia Bedelia books are great for beginner readers! Throwing a baby into Amelia Bedelia's antics was brilliant. Her tendency to take everything literally will get children laughing in no time and allowing them to have fun while reading. In the beginning of the book, Amelia Bedelia tells her boss, Mrs. Rogers that she does not know a thing about babies, but her boss insists that she babysit anyway. To no surprise to the reader Amelia Bedelia gets in all kinds of mischief with baby Missy! For instance, the mother's list says, "Be sure to use the baby powder" and Amelia douces herself with it, only to say, "My, I smell good. That was nice of Mrs. Lane." Not only are the words goofy, but the illustrations show the reader exactly what Amelia is doing as she makes her silly mistakes. They are simple, straight to the point and literal, just like the actions that are being portrayed. Few colors are used, such as, black, white, grey, brown, pink, yellow, and orange. I highly recommend this goofy book to children in grades K-3.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Amelia Bedelia and the Baby.