Patrick Brown's Reviews > Then We Came to the End

Then We Came to the End by Joshua Ferris

Jun 06, 08

Read in June, 2008

I know I've been giving out 5 star reviews lately like a whore on Christmas but this book blew me away. Actually, I should be more specific. Throughout the book there were moments that made me say, "Of course! I've felt that but never been able to put it into words." You can't ask for more than that in a novel. Up until the last 100 pages (especially the last 30 or so, I would've given it 4 stars. The voice made the book difficult for me to access and at times it meanders too much for my taste. But the structure is amazingly intricate and the humor so delicate, it eventually won me over. What was surprising about the book, which is marketed very much as a comedy - and it is funny - is how moving it is. When Tom Mota paints over the billboard...oh, it's such a beautiful scene. There are little moments like that throughout the book. The descriptions of starting a new job, the weeks and in most cases months of anonymity, the lunches spent in solitude...I recently started a job in a sort of office, and I knew exactly what that was like. It's really an exceptional book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Then We Came to the End.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Cory I noticed on the Vroman's blog that you seemed enraptured by a new chair. Did you take it from a recently departed colleague's office by any chance? If so, be sure to do something about the serial number.

Patrick Brown Cory, we both know that that chair is resting at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean, serial numbers be damned.

Edan Cory, I asked Patrick the same thing!

Maryann This is how I felt reading To Rise Again at a Decent Hour. Just ordered this. The angst of saying good morning to everyone at work every single day! So many great thoughts and humour. Now it's time to take your stool sample. ... I hope he wins the Booker.