Brian's Reviews > Demon: A Memoir

Demon by Tosca Lee

Nov 01, 11

Read from October 28 to 31, 2011

This was my first Tosca book and I have to say I was very impressed. I've been a fan of Ted Dekker's for quite some time and Forbidden, the book he co-authored with Tosca, was so good that it made me want to know more about Tosca and I have to say I was very pleased at what I found. While I wouldn't quite put it on par with Forbidden, I will say it's a fresh take on material that should cause one to rethink what they believe, or at the very least appreciate some things in a new light.

The story is pretty well paced and had me hooked by the first chapter. It was fairly compelling throughout and I only found that there were a few times towards the end where I thought the narrative sort of stalled. She weaves in several supporting character stories to make the journey the main character goes through in the story more complex and real and the story benefits greatly from those secondary plot lines. Clay, the main character, is a very believable character who could easily be any man in America, so it's easy to understand his thought processes and relate to what he would be going through.

The dialog is brilliant in places, especially early on describing the earliest parts of the history of the world, and the author from time to time had me completely engrossed in what I thought were fairly well understood notions by turning them sideways and presenting a different perspective than I've had in the past.

Finally, the ending was constructed, foreshadowed and pulled off very nicely, with some nice dark twists in there to really catch you off guard. The ending also ends up leaving quite a bit of ambiguity about how things finally turn out though I suspect that was the one final piece that was intended to cause the reader to introspect and digest the work as one that might act as a catalyst for change in how you perceive certain truths presented in the Bible.

Bottom line, while not a perfect book - though I can certainly see Tosca producing many 5 star entries in the future - this book was a very well done for the most part and any flaws are not significant enough to detract from the overall quality of this story. Quite enjoyed and recommended to all.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Demon.