♥Rachel♥'s Reviews > My Life Next Door

My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick

Jul 09, 12

Read from June 26 to 28, 2012 — I own a copy

For years, Sam had watched the Garrett's from her bedroom next door. They're life was so opposite from the one she led. Sam has the perfect trust-fund mother who currently is a congresswoman, and the beautiful older sister always out with her latest conquest. It's just the three of them, as Sam's dad left while her mother was pregnant with her. The Garrett's always had a lot going on with eight children: five boys and three girls. They were the type that always had the toys lying about in the front yard, comings and goings at all times, loud pool antics and sports playing in the front drive. In contrast, Sam's family has nothing out of place. Her mother even makes sure to vacuum any trace of footprints out of the carpet before they leave. It was an unspoken command to stay away from the Garrett's. But day after day, Sam found herself drawn to watching them until one day one of the sons, Jase, climbs up and talks to her. From then on Sam is tied inextricably to the Garrett's, but most of all to Jase. When tragedy strikes their families, Sam's loyalty to her family and the Garrett's is put to the test.

I fell head-over-heels in love with the Garrett's. Their open love and affection they show to each other as so inviting. Something Sam has had lacking in her life. She falls not only for Jase, but for the whole family, and they fall for her. Little four-year old George seems to fall hardest, besides Jase of course. He is so cute with his affinity for random facts, National Geographic Kids, and his constant worry over what might happen. He loves Sam instantly, calling her Super Sailorgirl because of a waitressing outfit she comes home in one day. But that's what she is to him, a super-hero, always able to calm him down, and find a good reason why he doesn’t need to worry. She is drawn to this family and helps without being asked, it just comes naturally for her. Like with all the helpful dating tips she sends Andy's way. Or just watching baby Patsy so that her mother could have some free time. Sam finds that she fits in right away. I think she craved to be part of their obviously affectionate family from the start.

I adored Jase, he is the product of a loving family, able to give love so freely himself. He's all about care and thinking about other people. The way he helps with his younger brothers and sisters, without even thinking, or being told to, is so touching. The romance between Jase and Sam is one you could imagine lasting for years, and there were lovely swoony scenes between them that had my heart all a-flutter. Here's a quote from Jase, in the beginning of the story that made my knees go weak:

Jase's green eyes meet mine, then his lashes lower. "I guess I like things that take time and attention. More worthwhile that way." I don't know what it is about this that makes me blush, but something does.

Sam's mother, Grace, was a piece of work. Vain, self-centered, and judgmental, this is a woman who should've never had kids. She looks down her nose at the Garrett's, saying there's one in every neighborhood: messy, too many kids, yard full of neglect and children's toys. Her mother is concentrating on her re-election campaign instead of her girls. She only seems concerned at making sure their lives are lived in a way that optimizes them as a campaign tool. Especially now that she has Clay, her new campaign manager and boyfriend. He's younger, charming and has Grace wrapped around his finger. Sam doesn't even recognize her mother and doesn't care for the effect Clay has on her. I felt very sad for Sam to have been raised by this woman.

This was a brilliant debut for author Huntley Fitzpatrick. I was riveted from the start of this lovely, touching and heartbreaking story. I would love to see another story revolving around Tim and Alice! That would be entertaining. I will certainly be picking up anything else Ms. Fitzpatrick decides to write.

You can find this and more at The Readers Den

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Life Next Door.

06/26/2012
7.0% "Already can't stand Clay, the idiot boyfriend of the mom. Seems like he sticks his nose in where it doesn't belong!" 1 comment
06/26/2012
23.0% "Jase's green eyes meet mine, then his lashes lower. "I guess I like things that take time and attention. More worthwhile that way."." 2 comments

~Tina~ Warning. You will hate the mom! Grrrr
But other then that, I loved this book:D

♥Rachel♥ I already hate the mom and her moron of a boyfriend: Clay. :(

message 3: by ~Tina~ (last edited Jun 26, 2012 05:28PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

~Tina~ Yup. He's an idiot too!

But I think you'd love the rest of the book. Great chemistry and I adore the Garretts!!:)

♥Rachel♥ I completely adore the Garrett's! The mother is such a contrast to Samantha's mom! I love her.

message 5: by Jenn (last edited Jun 26, 2012 06:42PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenn I loved the Garretts. I also loved Flip, the sister's boyfriend. lol. I LOVED this book but Clay and the mom are just awful. Clay ...I don't even know if I have the right words to describe him and his ways. GEORGE is my favorite Garrett along with Jase. :o)

I can't wait until you get to a certain part where Nan and Sam are talking about Daniel. I swear there's a Twilight reference in that conversation. lol

Lisa George was my favorite! He made me chuckle quite a few times!

♥Rachel♥ George was such a sweetheart, Lisa! I just loved the whole family! :)

Eunice I've heard so many good things about this book! I look forward to your review, Rachel. :D

Jasprit There seem to be some right idiot parents around lately! But I'm glad you had fun with this book! Can't wait for your review! :)

♥Rachel♥ @Eunice- I think you'll really like this one. All the characters were well fleshed out and lovable. Except for Sam's mom and boyfriend!! Yuck! :(

@Jasprit-I can't believe some of the horrible parents in books lately but Jase's parents were a dream!! A complete contrast to Samantha's parents.

message 11: by Hilda (new) - added it

Hilda So glad to see another high rating for this book! Can't wait to read your review, Rachel! I heard that this book is very adorable! <3

message 12: by Nick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nick Fab review, Rachel ! :)
Wasn't George the cutest boy on the planet ? :D I think I loved him more than Jase.

♥Rachel♥ Thank you Nick. I did love George! So beyond cute! Probably my favorite of all the siblings. I was in love with the whole family though! I'm going to check out your review. :)

message 14: by Dija (new)

Dija Great review, Rachel! This seems like a really cute read. :)

message 15: by Giselle (new)

Giselle This looks so good! The reviews are all amazing, plus, Jase sounds swoon-worthy!! <3 Great review Rachel!

♥Rachel♥ Thank you ladies!

This contemp romance was really amazing especially for a debut author. The romance was incredibly sweet and the Garretts were the best family I've read about in a long time! I think anyone would love this story!

And, yes Sam, Sam's mother is HORRIBLE. Heehee, it's funny to be talking to you about a main character with the same name as you! ;)

message 17: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna Yay. You finally posted a review. It's so great. You practically summed up my thoughts as I had a hard time getting it right. :) And Samantha is such a great character. :)

message 18: by Eunice (last edited Jul 08, 2012 08:44AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eunice Seems like a lot of those who've read this fell hard with little George! And since I have soft spots for baby brothers I'm sure I'm gonna love him too! Great review, Rachel! Glad you enjoyed this and I'm looking forward reading this more now. :D

message 19: by Kristy (new) - added it

Kristy Awwww, I need to read this!!! Great review!

♥Rachel♥ Anna wrote: "Yay. You finally posted a review. It's so great. You practically summed up my thoughts as I had a hard time getting it right. :) And Samantha is such a great character. :)"

Thank you Anna. It took me a while to sort everything out. I thought you did a great job expressing your thoughts in your review! This was a great debut novel. I really do hope there's a novel in the works for Alice and Tim! :)

♥Rachel♥ Eunice wrote: "Seems like a lot of those who've read this fell hard with little George! And since I have soft spots for baby brothers I'm sure I'm gonna love him too! Great review, Rachel! Glad you enjoyed this a..."

Thank you Eunice. Little George is so adorable! At one point he runs up to Sam and presses a kiss to her belly button!! So cute! I think you're going to love this story when you get to it. :)

♥Rachel♥ Kristy wrote: "Awwww, I need to read this!!! Great review!"

Thank you Kristy. I think you'd really like this one. Tina liked it too. :)

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Excellent review, Rachel! As I commented over at The Readers Den, this appears like a really sweet, lovely YA contemp, and perfect for reading in the summer. :)

Awww, George sounds ADORABLE. :D I definitely have to read this soon...

♥Rachel♥ Thank you for that Leanne! It is the perfect summer read and George is the little brother we all wish we had! Hope you like it as much as I did. :)

message 25: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna Yes! I like Alice and Tim's sort-of relationship. haha. They make me happy. I do hope so too that they'll have their story.

Jasprit Lovely review Rachel, it seems like I've been excited for this book forever! Your review wants me to make me pick it up sooner! I can't wait to meet the Garretts! :)

message 27: by ♥Rachel♥ (last edited Jul 09, 2012 06:27AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

♥Rachel♥ Thanks Jasprit. I think you'll love this book. It's our kind of story! :)

message 28: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Valentine Yay! I'm so happy you loved this too, Rachel! I couldn't have loved the Garretts anymore than I already did -- especially Jase with his badboy look yet supersweet heart, and George with his too-adorableness! :') Beautiful review, Rachel! <3

♥Rachel♥ Thank you Mimi. After I saw your review I just knew I had to get going with this and I'm so glad I did! Such a yummy vanilla! :)

Wafa Asher Great review! I just finished the book and I loved it. George was definitely a treat to read. I can't wait to read the companion novel about Tim!

♥Rachel♥ Wafa Asher wrote: "Great review! I just finished the book and I loved it. George was definitely a treat to read. I can't wait to read the companion novel about Tim!"

Thank you, Wafa! George was adorable! :)