Joanna's Reviews > The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

620387
Nov 03, 11

bookshelves: audiobooks, young-adult, rws-2011-fall, 2011-read
Read from October 26 to November 03, 2011

Everyone but me seems to love Sherman Alexie and to love this book. I enjoyed hearing the author read his own book. He has a nice voice and gives a good cadence to the text.

This is my second try with this author. At the recommendation of a classmate many years ago, I read Indian Killer, which is about as different from The Absolutely True Diary, but, while I can see the underlying strength of the author, the book didn't really move me.

Here again, the book didn't really do much for me. It was a semi-sweet story of a kid breaking free from "the rez" and going to a nearby white school. The clash of cultures is described with good humor and a good dose of optimism, but I never really felt connected to the narrator. The description of the reactions of the neighbors on the reservation rang true and honest; the descriptions of the students at the new school seemed a little too easy and trite.