Stephen's Reviews > Christmas Terror Tales: Stories to Enjoy from October Through December

Christmas Terror Tales by Kevin M. Folliard

Nov 18, 11

bookshelves: first-reads
Read from November 04 to 18, 2011

I received this book throught a Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

This is a book of short horror stories that seem to be aimed at Middle Grade audience. Each is between 1 and 4 pages. They are set during the holidays Halloween through New Year's Day.

As a fan of horror stories, I thought that I might have a lot of fun reading a book that simplifies the horror down to a "campfire tale" that is just enough for scaring a younger audience. I tried very hard to enjoy this book, but it was difficult.

In horror, you have several types of stories. Some stories start simple or pleasant and then situations deteriorate until there is no hope and the bad guys win. In others, a shocking revelation or event pops up for the scare value. Even though there are many more formulas to work with this author stops with these two.

No matter what, each of these ends with grim tragedy and never clearly explains motivations or reasons for events. Kids and families suffering grief, pain, and gruesome deaths is not what I expected. Most of the stories come from old urban legends and tales that have been told many times before. Those that are more original, like "The Christmas Jack-O-Lantern", are the best of the bunch. too bad there were not more like that.

I am sure this author has better stuff in his arsenal, but this one is a dud...even for younger readers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Christmas Terror Tales.

11/04/2011 page 1