Nandakishore Varma's Reviews > രണ്ടാമൂഴം | Randamoozham

രണ്ടാമൂഴം | Randamoozham by M.T. Vasudevan Nair

Oct 10, 13

bookshelves: malayalam

M.T.Vasudevan Nair (or M.T. as he is lovingly known to us Malayalees), a doyen in the field of Malayalam literature and a trendsetting scriptwriter for Malayalam movies, has penned this wonderful novel: the Mahabharatha epic seen through the eyes of Bhima, the second of the Pandava brothers. M.T. is known for his portrayal of the unsung hero, both in literature and movies. Most of his protagonists are vehicles for the frustrations he suffered as a young man, and Bhima is no different. Always destined to be second (or take the "Second Turn" - "Randam Oozham" in Malayalam - which incidentally gives the novel its title) to his weak elder brother Yudhishtira in seniority and younger brother Arjuna in fame and popularity, Bhima is not given his due as the main architect of the Pandava victory over their cousins Kauravas in the Kurukshetra war.

Though M.T. twists the story to his own ends in many places (he takes a lot of poetic license with epics and legends), the dreamily poetic language and the heartfelt angst of Bhima makes this an exemplary work of fiction. You can get lost in the beauty of the Malayalam language; but then, that is the characteristic of most of M.T.'s works.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read രണ്ടാമൂഴം | Randamoozham.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Emmett I will have to wait for a translation. I have read the Gita, in translation, (of course, being American and hopelessly limited in my language acquisition skills) so this seems like it would be an enjoyable read for many reasons, one being its comparative aspect.

message 2: by Nandakishore (last edited Dec 30, 2011 11:53AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nandakishore Varma I think it has been translated as "Second Turn" by MacMillan India. I'm not very sure-this is the info I got from the web.

Of course, language being one of M.T.'s prime strengths, I don't know whether the novel will work well in translation.

Nandakishore Varma Patrick, two reviews for the English version are available here on Goodreads! I think you can get the book info from that.

message 4: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Emmett Thanks! Happy New Year!

Nandakishore Varma Happy New Year!

message 6: by Richard (new) - added it

Richard Nandakishore, In case you are interested, a new friend of mine, Sruthymon, has started a discussion group for readers of Malayalam literature:

message 7: by Lit Bug (last edited Oct 10, 2013 02:26AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lit Bug I'm so glad you liked this one - I read this in 2010 and found it really, really good - some scenes were really heart-rending, and Draupadi too is sketched out so very well here. I am planning to revisit it sometime early next year. Lovely!

I read it in English, though.

Nandakishore Varma Lit Bug wrote: "I'm so glad you liked this one - I read this in 2010 and found it really, really good - some scenes were really heart-rending, and Draupadi too is sketched out so very well here. I am planning to r..."

The only thing I don't like about M.T. is that he carries the same complex-ridden hero (I suspect, his alter ego) into all novels - the same happened here. And he has taken some liberties with Bhima's view of Krishna, who is depicted only as an arch-manipulator.

Nandakishore Varma Richard wrote: "Nandakishore, In case you are interested, a new friend of mine, Sruthymon, has started a discussion group for readers of Malayalam literature:

Sorry Richard, I wasn't following this thread and missed your post. Will definitely have a look.