Jeffrey's Reviews > Selene of Alexandria

Selene of Alexandria by Faith L. Justice

Nov 13, 11

bookshelves: currently-reading
Read from October 26 to November 12, 2011

I really wanted to like this book as an HFiction group choice and as a new writer...and I bought it despite the price which was three times a bookstore paperbook of a mainstream writer.
The setting is 5 star and well described with good imagery and detail that takes us into this bustling city and its conflicts.
But what is it about...I struggled to find what the plot was and the pace was way way too slow. In fact, I wasn't clear what the story was or the 'character arc' i.e how the heroine changes. She comes over as a Mid-West sort of cheerleader and I'm not sure that fits.
A good editor from a publisher would spot the plodding pace and perhaps cut or said how to carry the reader along and that is what may hold this back.
The book is written with love and dedication...it shines through with great research...but that isn't enough.
I give it 2 stars on the basis of being unclear what the story was or what the heroine's battle is beyind growing up and that wasn't enough.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Selene of Alexandria.

10/26/2011 page 6