Jana (The Book Goddess)'s Reviews > Don't You Wish

Don't You Wish by Roxanne St. Claire

^^ YES. The choice isn't as simple as you think. OMG. This was such an unexpected read and I am so glad I requested in on Netgalley (thank you!). This is probably my favourite read so far (I've read 9 books this month) and I just want MORE. A perfect contemporary with a little paranormal peeking in.

The concept was very intriguing. What if you were given a chance to live another life? To become popular? To have everyone worship you? Would you wish that? Annie Nutter is a 'nobody' and when she fiddled with her father's invention, and wishes to be 'someone', her life changed forever, literally. I think this is what teens are going through. How many of us once wished that we had a different life? To become a billionaire's daughter and have lots of friends? I think like that. But this book teaches you that everything happens for a reason, and all you go through in life shapes you as a person and makes you STRONGER.

I fell in love with the characters. Crazy Annie Nutter and her 'old' family was just a regular family and they remind me of my family. They have lots of problems and misunderstandings, yes, but in the end, we all love each other and we don't regret anything. I really appreciate that Annie was still the same Annie even when she 'became' Ayla. You know, she could have gone along and stole clothes and jewellery (why do super-rich people steal? I don't find what's the rush with that when they have got their own money) like her 'friends' but she didn't. She stayed true to herself, and that's one of the reasons that I respect her.

The love interest was OH SO SWEET. I love that he was a bit geeky and that he wears this old hat (and yet he still looks cute). I enjoyed learning more about his history and his family. The rest of the characters were amazing as well, her mother Emily was depressed in both lives yet you can see she puts her children first.

The ending was totally unpredictable (or was that just me?)! I was so in Annie's head that I wouldn't know what to do - should she go back to being an 'invisible' or stay as a 'perfect' person? The choice isn't simple. She couldn't just do what she wants, but she has to think about other people? If she go back to her old life, then everything would change and it would affect other people too. I really sympathized with her and the ending was very fullfilling yet leaves a very open ending for readers. It was very bittersweet and I JUST LOVE IT OMFG.

Well guys, I know I couldn't write a review and do this book justice but hey, I tried. If you don't buy this - I will hunt you down :P

(Thank you to Netgalley for providing me an e-galley in exchange for an honest review.)

Also posted: http://jana-thebookgoddess.blogspot.c...
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't You Wish.

01/15/2012 page 5
01/16/2012 page 25
7.0% "amazing concept and idea!"
01/17/2012 page 198
54.0% "really liking this so far! :P"
show 7 hidden updates…