Mary's Reviews > Professional Idiot: A Memoir

Professional Idiot by Stephen "Steve-O" Glover

The funny thing is, I've loved Jackass for years, but Steve-O was never one of my favourites. After reading this book - his memoirs since childhood through his career and rehab treatment - now he's trumping Chris Pontius and Johnny Knoxville as my Jackass of choice.

It turns out, through out his life, Steve-O's often been sidelined as the 'annoying (and perhaps less likeable) one', a fact that clearly contributed to his eventual alcoholism and drug addiction. His life story is far more interesting that I may have assumed - and one aspect of the book I loved the most was how the narrative sounds just like Steve-O's voice. His humility in his new life of sobriety makes the deadpan humour about his troubled past feel very honest and insightful. The fluid story telling made it a page-turner.

Despite this piece of media being a book - and not the film clips, TV and movies Steve-O's built his career on - there are still a number of shocking parts that I found satisfying as a Jackass fan. Reading anecdotes about the production of Jackass and Wildboyz sometimes had me re-reading a few lines, just to make sure I read correctly!

Overall, if you're familiar with Steve-O, I'd say give this book a chance. It may give some his past work, recent notoriety and new sobriety some much needed context.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Professional Idiot.

10/25/2011 page 83