Sequelguerrier's Reviews > Death Most Definite

Death Most Definite by Trent Jamieson

Oct 25, 11

I own a copy

Odin's ravens and the world tree provided a completely unexpected link between the book I read just before, The Age of Odin, and 'Death Most Definite' by Australian Trent Jamieson. The story happens in the present in Australia but it is once again a present seen through a distorting lens. Steven de Selby follows, without terribly much conviction it can be said, the family profession. He is a 'pomp' a human conduit that helps the souls of the dead to transit to the nether world. He has a serious problem, however. Someone has started killing off all the pomps in Australia in a bid to become the new 'regional manager' a.k.a. Death for Australia. Steve is saved by the ghost of a dead girl who then becomes his companion in a wild chase to avoid being killed and find out who is behind the murders. Ravens appear in the middle of the action and couldn't but remind me of Huginn and Muninn, Odin's pair. Then there is the link between the world of the death and that of the living - a huge tree Yggdrasil by any other name. Again, the characters are well drawn and, Death has a family likeness with those of Pratchett, Gaiman and Piers Anthony which the author acknowledges loving. But he creates his own world and his own Death. To end with another blurb: 'Darkly humorous and dangerously hip, this novels breathes new life into the business of death.' I look forward to the sequel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death Most Definite.