Melindeeloo's Reviews > The Bite Before Christmas

The Bite Before Christmas by Lynsay Sands

Oct 30, 11

bookshelves: christmas-romance-anthology, paranormal-romance-vampire, paranormal-romance
Read from October 25 to 26, 2011

A Bite Before Christmas was an odd pairing of holiday novellas served up with a fangy twist - Sand's Argeneau vampires are light humorous paranormal romances and Frost's Night Huntress stories are wise cracking sexy urban fantasy. I am a fan of both, but no sure that they belong together and - I have to ask - why are they together in hardback? Anyway on to the important stuff...

(4.5 stars = I really really liked it) "Home for the Holidays" by Jeaniene Frost - A Night Huntress novella - Looks like Annette has totally one upped Cat's birthday present to Bones but the surprise guest has almost every one in Bone's 'family' acting really wierd - Frost had released the first few chapter of this as a sneak preview a while back (view spoiler) but even having read the beginning before, this Cat and Bones short was really excellent. "Home for the Holidays" is a pretty substantial novella length short story, with a really great conflict, with a touching moment near the end, and lots of cameos, plus a decent sized supporting role for Ian - he's so unabashedly bad but with a redeeming touch of loyalty that makes him a standout character.

(2 stars = ok) "The Gift" by Lynsay Sands - an Argeneau connected novella, starring Teddy the Port Henry Chief of Police who has appeared in quite a few of the books (Accidental Vampire for one). Teddy's attempt to avoid a 'charity' invite to one of his paired off friends holiday celebrations, ends up with him snowed in and with no power, but with a very interesting neighbor to make the experience more interesting. - I was happy that Teddy got his HEA, but there were places where I was borderline squicked with the 60 something Teddy lusting after the 20's looking Katricia. Katricia is around 1600 years old or something like that and Teddy feels bad about scoping her out before he knows, and Katricia is on the make from the start but ... I'd have been happier if the lustiness had waited until after the turning. And I have had this pet peeve in the last five or so books, I wish Sands would stop using Little 'fill-in-heroes-name-here' for a significant male body part, it was cute the first time in Thomas' book but needs to be retired.

The last 14% of the book has sneak previews for Sand's next book Under a Vampire Moon (which if the rumors are true, will no longer be a hardback release) and for Frost's first Night Prince (Vlad's spinoff series) I am skipping both teasers - I will just wait for the real thing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bite Before Christmas.

10/25/2011
38.0% "Just finished the Argeneau short, starring Teddy the Port Henry Chief of Police that has appeared in quite a few of the books. I was happy that Teddy got his HEA, but there were places where I was borderline squicked with the 60 something Teddy lusting after the 20's looking Katricia... And I wish Sands would stop using Little-fill-in-heroes-name-here it was cute the first time in Thomas' book but needs to be retired"
10/26/2011
49.0% "This one has started out good, I am just past the point that Frost had released as a teaser a while back <spoiler>I was apparently so excited when I read the teaser that I didn't realize whose relative the new vamp was, and despite the accent, I was thinking Kat's - because he said he'd take her up on her 'flirting' if they were related...</spoiler>"
10/26/2011
86.0% "The Cat and Bones short was really excellent, and with a touching moment near the end. I'd almost say that it was worth the price of the whole book, since "Home for the Holidays" is a pretty substantial novella length short story"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shannon (new)

Shannon C. Oh, yuck. This doesn't sound like one I want to read.

Melindeeloo Katricia is like 1600 years old or something like that and Teddy feels bad about scoping her out before he knows, and Katricia is on the make from the start but ... I'd have been happier if the lustiness had waited until after the turning.

Melindeeloo The kindle price was still pretty steep, so it's great that you have the library option.

message 4: by Shannon (new)

Shannon C. Oh wow, you're lucky. My library hardly carries any PNRs or UFs.

message 5: by Shannon (new)

Shannon C. Naysa,
Remember when we talked about Laura Griffin a while back? Did you ever try her books? I had read an earlier one and it was a good mystery/suspense but a tad light on the romance for my taste. I just tried another one (Untraceable, Tracers #1) and it had a bit more romance. I liked it and just ordered book 2.

message 6: by Shannon (new)

Shannon C. I used to read a lot of straight mystery/suspense/thrillers, so much so that I'm still kinda burned out on them. Romance is only a recent thing for me -- last two years or so. I also used to read a lot of fantasy.

Douglas Meeks As you know I was hyped up about Teddy's story and it did not live up to my self imposed hype (Accidental Vampire being one of my all time favorite) but I DID really like the Bones & Cat story. gave the book 4 stars(less)

Melindeeloo I really wanted to like Teddy's story more, I really needed the dream scenes to be with the Teddy he would be when he was turned. Cat and Ian though was such a crackup - in the past book Cat mentioned getting the power of sluttiness from Bone's blood, I wonder what super power she got from Ian's?

Douglas Meeks While I was glad to see Teddy finally get his HEA I really thought it should have gotten better treatment, the story was too light and short and the 60ish steamy stuff was a bit creepy no matter how old she was IMHO. the book as a whole is required reading though if you like both series (as I do)

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) After being disappointed with One Grave at a time I feel that Jeaniene Frost is back with this one. Really liked it and she is setting Ian up to have a fabulous book, I hope.

message 11: by Pansy (new)

Pansy I have not read the book yet. The price is crazy expensive for Kindle. I was looking forward to Teddy. Wow, I am disappointed it is not up to the hype. I love Cat and Bones. Ian is totally bad boy. Irresistible!

Melindeeloo Lisa wrote: "After being disappointed with One Grave at a time I feel that Jeaniene Frost is back with this one. Really liked it and she is setting Ian up to have a fabulous book, I hope."

Wow, if she can pull off a book for Ian....

Melindeeloo Pansy wrote: "I have not read the book yet. The price is crazy expensive for Kindle. I was looking forward to Teddy. Wow, I am disappointed it is not up to the hype. I love Cat and Bones. Ian is totally bad boy...."

I know the price was hideous, thank goodness Sand's has backed off on going to hardback, but I wish she'd started sooner. The Cat and Bones story was great and I would have spent the paperback price happily for it alone. Teddy's story though...

Melindeeloo Dougmeeks wrote: "While I was glad to see Teddy finally get his HEA I really thought it should have gotten better treatment, the story was too light and short and the 60ish steamy stuff was a bit creepy no matter ho..."

I am wondering if she could have pulled this off as a novel and the fact that it was a short made her take short cuts (that didn't quite work), I have to admit that I was disappointed in Tiny's story too - maybe it's just guys whose name start with 'T' need longer stories for their HEA :)

Douglas Meeks We were all hyped up for a much better story for Teddy than we got, wish she had picked another character for this short story. He deserved a much more detailed story but then again that age thing was gonna be tricky anyway you went about it. I can say that the Cat/Bones story made it worth the money.

Douglas Meeks Melindeeloo wrote: "Dougmeeks wrote: "While I was glad to see Teddy finally get his HEA I really thought it should have gotten better treatment, the story was too light and short and the 60ish steamy stuff was a bit c..."
Tiny's story seemed to come together a bit better although shorter than I would have liked. The more I think about Teddy the more of a problem the age thing would be for the author, we may have gotten the best she could do without being really creepy :)

Melindeeloo Dougmeeks wrote: "Melindeeloo wrote: "Dougmeeks wrote: "While I was glad to see Teddy finally get his HEA I really thought it should have gotten better treatment, the story was too light and short and the 60ish stea..."

It would have been better if she hadn't had Teddy connect the 'grandpa' dots or if she' held off on his thinking little Teddy thoughts until he knew Katricia's age or maybe limited the physical attraction to the dreams and focusing on a more personal connection between the pair, or if the turning had been done right away and then he's at the cabin trying to figure out what to do with his life since he can't go back to the job he loves, or something like that...