Nookmom (Courtney)'s Reviews > Hunter of the Heart

Hunter of the Heart by Vanessa Jaye

Oct 25, 2011

bookshelves: for-bbpr-review
Read from October 25 to 28, 2011

This is a short novel but it really packs a punch. Nate loses his mate to a horrendous creature/shifter called a Pithcus. Nate should have died as well since he was infected with it's poison, but somehow he beats the odds and survives. However he is now constantly fighting his own inner Pithcus who wants to take control. He has been paired up with Mitch to hunt and destroy the Pithcus and the hunt leads them to a cruise ship. When Nate comes across Tessa at the pool, he is only trying to be nice and get the meat head hitting on her to leave her alone. He soon realizes she is his long lost mate, or at least embodies some part of Beth's soul.

The story picks up quickly with Tessa thinking Nate is surely insane until she comes across the Pithcus herself. And what a disgusting creature it is! Mitch offers comic relief and I enjoyed the crude, totally man conversations between him and Nate. Mitch has quite the ego and is not very nice to Tessa. He sees her as a threat to Nate. I am not going to spoil anything, but I loved then scene when Mitch comes face to face with the Pithcus on the deck! I bet he didn't see that one coming!

This was a very creative story and not your typical shifter scenario.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hunter of the Heart.