Amber's Reviews > Girl, Interrupted

Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen

Oct 25, 11

Girl, Interrupted is a memoir focused on Susanna Kaysen, who is an 18 year old girl living in the year of 1967. After Susanna attempts to kill herself taking 50 Advil, she visits a doctor who tells her that she is depressed and needs to stay in a mental Hospital. Without having time to think it over, Susanna is put in a cab and driven to McLean Hospital, a psychiatric facility. When she first arrives she begans to tell the stories of her experiences in the Hospital. Many of which consist of how the other patients act. One patient is named Lisa who is always trying to escape and sometimes succeeds but a;ways ends up returning to the Hospital. The experience for Susanna that stood out to me the most was the story of Daisy. Daisy was a girl who entered the Hospital mostly around the holidays. She had a habit of eating whole chickens and then setting them up in a row in her room. This story really showed how much Susanna was normal compared to the other patients. Another encounter that Susanna comes across in this book is when she tears open her hand with her teeth to have the reassurance that she was like a normal human being and had bones. This was the point in the book where I stared to think that Susanna really was crazy. Towards the end of the book Susanna applies and begins to look for a job, while the man she has been seeing proposes to her and accepts. The last part of the book concludes with Susanna reviling that she has a border line personality disorder. She now is married and lives in Georgia.
Overall I thought this book was pretty good. It was definitely on the more interesting side of books I have read but it was a good eye opener because I never really had been exposed to the world of a Mental Hospital. All of the different stories in the book really made me think about how the author had been affected by it and how she learned from it. If i were to recommend this book, I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a book that will help them learn something new and a book that will keep them entertained.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girl, Interrupted.