Denise's Reviews > Unto Caesar

Unto Caesar by Emmuska Orczy

Oct 25, 11

bookshelves: fiction
Read in October, 2011

Selected this book to read because I love anything related to the Roman empire (plus it was available as a free read on my e-reader). I enjoyed the character descriptions of Caligula and Taurus Antinor (at first) but had a hard time believing the so-called innocence of Dea Flavia Augusta (relative of Caligula). She and the emperor were at the top of society. Roman emperors became emperors (and stayed in that position) because they were ruthless. Their relatives accepted the existence of power plays and worked within the system (and sometimes out of it) to maintain their own power and status positions.

The author would have the reader believe that Dea Flavia was a protected child with no experience of reality. Her young girl's crush (and resulting mental/emotional turmoil) on Taurus Antinor was a perfect case of a spoiled brat being denied something she wanted. And the HEAVY religious overtones were overpowering. I had to force myself to finish the book.

A great book for those who are looking for stories to verify their own personal religious beliefs.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unto Caesar.