Kelly's Reviews > Deadly

Deadly by Julie Chibbaro

Oct 26, 11

bookshelves: ya-fiction, read-in-2011

I really liked this much more than I initially thought I would. But, I wanted more. There needed to be more thrust to the story. While I felt Prudence's passion for wanting to go into science/medicine, I thought that too much other was brought into the story and not expressed as much as it could have or should have been.

When I got to page 50 or so, I was SO ANGRY right along with Pru about how women had no power and couldn't grow up and be what they wanted. I wanted way more of that. I wanted more of her internal debate on this issue, especially how it pertained to Mary. That was HUGE. There was such untapped potential for her to play around with that gender issue, especially as Mary -- a woman -- became such a huge symbol for a disease killing people off. Prudence would kind of get there, but then she'd back off and fall into the "am I in love" issue. She had some killer insight into the divide of body and person, and that could have taken her even further as a character.

I thought the diary format was a fine fit for the story telling, as it kept it moving. This set up also allowed Prudence to have a real voice in the story but, as I said, I needed more of that voice to come there. It was almost there. The potential bubbled but then subsided before it could really rise fully.

I loved the interplay of science here. Rare to find a book that's got science without being science fiction, and Chibbaro does that. She makes it almost sexy by making it so disease-driven. That I think gives it some good appeal. The hook's there, for sure.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadly.

10/26/2011 page 100
33.0% "I like this but I want there to be a little more thrust to the story. Some force behind it. Also, I want to punch everyone except Prudence."