Guy's Reviews > Gardens of the Moon

Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson

May 22, 08

bookshelves: science-fiction-and-fantasy, have-read-more-than-once
Read in May, 2008

Excellent book. Erikson may not be quite as good a writer as George R. R. Martin, but he's plenty good enough to hold the rapt attention of this reader. I have just Amazoned the other seven novels in the series that have been published thus far, and I look forward to many (many!) hours of deaf-to-the-world reading.

Concerning some of the comments of other reviewers: "Gardens of the Moon" is complex and is definitely sink or swim at the outset (but who wants to be spoon-fed anyway?). The beginning is only slow-paced in comparison with the end, and the end is both much more satisfying than in your average multi-book series and also completely appropriate for a book in which the two-faced God of chance has such a central role (i.e., for my money it is not pat). The world-making is superb, the characters are good enough, the names are great, and the poetry is indeed awful.

There are a great many writers of bad fantasy out there, so many in fact that I more or less gave up on the genre for a while. I'm glad I decided to give Erikson a try.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gardens of the Moon.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Michele lol I thought I just didn't know how to appreciate the "poetry" :p

Lampster65 Wow, I thought his poetry was MUCH better than his prose!

Franz I gave the series a 2nd try (after I abandonned it at book 2a few years ago). Now I am stuck in the same situation again: I find it exhausting to read (so many sentences that are tough to understand, even after re-reading them several times) and I am not impressed by the characters and the overall logic of the book. I looked at Amazon reviews and could much easier agree with the negative ones than the good ones. I have purchased almost the whole series and will probably continue until I reach the same spot in book 2 where I gave up last time. And I have to admit: I am not interested in the poetry, either :-)

message 4: by Guy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Guy The language is often complex, so I'll agree with you there, but as for the rest: de gustibus non est disputandum. Sorry we don't agree on Erikson! I expect that I'll be reading the entire series, for the third time, some time in the next couple of years.

Franz Yes, I was just surprised that our taste differs so much with this series :-)

I will probably start the series every few years and try to exceed the first 1000 pages...

Asgar I sorely disagree, sadly. I can see no evidence of Martin being a better writer than Erikson. I think Erikson's command of the English language and rhetorical devices rivals that of Joyce.
Martin is just so simple and fluffy.

message 7: by Guy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Guy You may be right. It has been a long time since I read Martin -- I put the Game of Thrones series aside after the first book to wait for it to be finished (if it ever is), and certainly my appreciation of Erikson has gone up and up as I have read more books in the series.

Asgar Martin is my perfect go-to for when I feel like mindless, light fantasy. :) I thoroughly enjoy his characterization, but that's just about it...

message 9: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee Erikson may not be quite as good a writer as George R. R. Martin

I predict you'll change your mind on that one by the time you are immersed in the world by book three.

Damian Dubois George R R Martin is a great author but I think this series has demonstrated (to me anyway) that Erikson has more depth and is a master storyteller who can make you care about even the most minor of characters.