Meg ♥'s Reviews > Deadly Little Secret

Feb 19, 12

bookshelves: e-books, z-2011-reads, disappointing
Read on December 12, 2011

2.5/5 stars.

When I read about this book I thought it genuinely sounded unique and interesting. I do still feel it was a unique story, but I still felt a bit disappointed by it. The story didn't have much going on at all. What was there flowed quickly and the whole book was read in a few hours so that was one good thing.

Camelia meets Ben when he saves her life. This part and the whole scene as partners at school felt a bit too Twilightish...There were quite a few similarities in the plot as well that I won't go into because several of my GR friends have already listed them, so I don't feel the need to do this again. Camelia is being stalked and she's also trying to find out more about the mysterious Ben. The rumor around school is that Ben was somehow responsible for his ex-girlfriend's death.

The stalker's narration did feel creepy at times, but not really scary. It just felt a little too silly and juvenile. Not to put down any fans of this series, but it feels like this book is more for younger teens like 11-13 than young adults, and certainly, in my opinion, not entertaining enough to hold the attention of adults. I only say this because the "mystery" was kinda easy to figure out for me...

The way I would talk you would get the idea that I hated this book, which is completely untrue. I just expected more. I might even continue this series, but I would like the writing to make me feel anything for these characters. Right now I don't because Camelia seems totally emotionless, her friends seem like a-holes, and Ben is the only character I kinda-sorta liked.

The 2.5 stars I gave were because there were a few suspenseful parts, and the writing itself wasn't terrible. Based off the idea this book started with it had potential to be a very intriguing story, but it just fell flat, and didn't isolate itself from the various other paranormal books out there.

Recommended for younger teens. I don't think it has any violence of sexual content. I can't really remember, which is another bad point for this book. It's not memorable at all. Definitely would not recommend this series to any adults or even young adults 14+, because I think most will be as bored as I was. If you are looking for a great YA/paranormal series to start trust me there are far better ones out there, and you won't regret passing on this one.
35 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadly Little Secret.

12/14/2011 page 65

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo Good Review.

Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews) I felt much the same way about this. A good idea but not the best execution, sadly. I have friends who rave about this series/author but I just don't see the appeal. Nice review!

Meg ♥ Anne (Booklady) wrote: "Good Review."

Thanks, Anne. :-)

Meg ♥ Jessie (Ageless Pages Reviews) wrote: "I felt much the same way about this. A good idea but not the best execution, sadly. I have friends who rave about this series/author but I just don't see the appeal. Nice review!"

Really? Most of my friends tend to agree with you and I so I haven't honestly seen much praise for this book. I thought it did have a decent rating on GR, though, and so I guess you're right that it does have it's following.

Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews) Meg ♥ wrote: "Jessie (Ageless Pages Reviews) wrote: "I felt much the same way about this. A good idea but not the best execution, sadly. I have friends who rave about this series/author but I just don't see the ..."

Yeah... I was surprised by their enthusiasm for this one. Then again the two girls who said I HAD to read this don't read nearly the amount of books I do. Uninformed? I dunno but no more rec's from them!