Rio (Lynne)'s Reviews > The Sisters Who Would be Queen: The Tragedy of Mary, Katherine and Lady Jane Grey

The Sisters Who Would be Queen by Leanda de Lisle

Oct 31, 2011

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read from October 25 to 30, 2011

I'm not a big fan of non-fiction, but this one held my interest. The author's 8 years of research sheds new light or a new way of thinking on many historical figures during this time. I won't say much for spoiler reasons, but I thought I knew why many decisions were made during these years. The author makes for new reason, even debunks prior myths. Some reviewers feel de Lisle made Jane out to be greedy. I did not get that impression. I felt Katherine and Mary were both naive. They simply didn't understand the rules under Elizabeth's reign. This is a good book for clubs and without a doubt good for discussion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sisters Who Would be Queen.

10/25/2011 page 11
3.0% "Guess I'm on a biography kick. I like how this one reads more like a story than a textbook." 3 comments
10/28/2011 page 130
37.0% "Definitely a new look on Edward for me. I didn't realize he has chosen Frances as successor first. I know he was influenced by his council, but now I think he was more aware of what he was doing than I originally thought." 1 comment
10/29/2011 page 158
45.0% "Maybe this will be mentioned later in the book, but I always thought Mary signed off on Jane's execution because Philip wouldn't marry her unless he knew the country was safe from Protestants."
10/30/2011 page 254
72.0% "You'd have thought Mary Grey would have learned from her sister's mistake?"

Orsolya I think I gave it three stars but I am on my phone app so too lazy to check on other screens lol

Rio (Lynne) Orsolya wrote: "I think I gave it three stars but I am on my phone app so too lazy to check on other screens lol"

You did.

Orsolya Haha thanks. I read it before I joined the site and then reviewed it after I joined so I don't remember those reviews, as well.