Jaclyn's Reviews > The King of Attolia

The King of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner

Oct 25, 2011

bookshelves: adventure, young-adult, series
Read in October, 2011

I absolutely LOVE this series. The first book didn't really grab me until the very end, but it has held on tight since then. I completely plowed through books 2 & 3 - I could not put them down. And I intend to jump right into Book 4, which I have no doubt will be just as great.

*****Previous Book Spoiler Alert****** (Not a spoiler for this book)
In Book #3 Eugenides is now living with the "unexpected" consequences of his decision to marry the Queen of Attolia. His decision has forced him into a position he doesn't really want, and it's made all the more difficult because no one but the Queen wants him there either. In this book, we get to know Attolia (the city) very well, and we meet many new characters. This book felt just as much like Costis's story as it did Gen's. Costis, a member of the Royal Guard, loses his temper and does the unthinkable - he attacks the King. Unfortunatley, this one moment is about to change his life forever.

There are so many twists and turns in these stories, that I find it a little hard to believe that these are young adult books. There is so much political motive to sort through, that I have a hard time keeping up with it from time to time, and I don't know if a younger audience would be quite as captivated by these books as I have been. But, I could be wrong. There is a lot of action to go along with all the political dealings, so that helps move the story along even when there are so many mental games going on that it would be easy to get bogged down. I highly recommend this series!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The King of Attolia.