Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥'s Reviews > Under the Never Sky

Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

Jun 30, 12

bookshelves: dystopian, young-adult, sci-fi, post-apocalyptic, cover-lust, paranormal, romance, own-ebook, adventure, favourites, memorable-men, reviewed
Recommended for: fans of post-apocalyptic and adventure, or fans of Orson Scott Card's Pathfinder
Read from March 04 to 05, 2012

This is probably the best YA book I have read since Divergent. I have heard some people complain about it being slow or confusing, but I think that it depends on the reader. I didnt find it slow or confusing at all. My guess is that they found it slow because of the constant trekking. I have read a lot of high fantasy and a lot of books that are almost entirely walking, building fires, and hunting. I am used to this so I didnt find it slow. Its part of the adventure. And my guess is that they found it confusing because of the amount of technology and virtual reality in the beginning, before Aria left the dome. I have also read a lot of hard sci-fi, so I am used to this. So, if you are expecting this to be a soft YA romance, you should adjust your expectations before reading it.

I dont know if I am the only one, but I find a lot of YA feels amateur. Even though I love YA, and almost every book I read, they dont all have the same level of prose. I tolerate this because I read for characters more than anything. But the writing in this was amazing! And an author's writing abilities (not taking imagination into account) dont just make it easier to read, they bring everything to life! This flowed so smoothly and felt so real. I have hardly ever read a YA book with characters that felt so real. There is one point where Perry, the male lead, thought to himself about how much Aria has changed, and I realized, wow, she really has! It hadnt even occurred to me that she was practically a different person at this point, because it had happened so naturally and organically. The same goes for the romance. It wasnt insta-love, and there wasnt any defining moment when their relationship or feelings began. It just grew. We could see it right before our eyes, from the beginning right to the end, growing at a steady pace. It was beautiful. And the enhanced senses that some people had brought the whole world brightly to life.

Be warned that this is not like other dystopian or post-apocalyptic. Its a bit of both, but mostly it is an adventure. There are absolutely no references to our world. There was clearly a devastating event that happened in the past that they call the Unity. But we dont necessarily know that this is even Earth. In that way, it reminds me of Orson Scott Card's Pathfinder. And although there is a fair amount of technology, this feels a lot like a high fantasy, since there is a great lack in technology outside of the domes, and a primitive way of life. This is a very difficult genre to define. And although the main characters are 17 and 18, this doesnt exactly read like a typical YA. It is slightly heavier, story-wise, as well as thematically and in writing style. But the content is entirely suitable for YA readers. Highly recommended!
22 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under the Never Sky.

Quotes Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥ Liked

Veronica Rossi
“She absorbed the terror and beauty of him and his world. Of every moment over the past days. All of it, filling her up like the first breath she'd ever taken. And never had she loved life more.”

Veronica Rossi
“In the sounds of the night Aria heard footsteps, far off and faint, but she recognized them instantly.
She shot into the darkness, letting her ears guide her. She followed the crunch of his feet on stones and small twigs, coming faster, louder, as his walk became a jog, then a run. She chased the sounds until all she heard was his heartbeat and then his breath and his voice, right by her ear, telling her, in tones as warm as fire, exactly the words she wanted to hear.”

Veronica Rossi
“She'd survived the outside. She'd survived the Aether and cannibals and wolves. She knew how to love now, and how to let go. Whatever came next, she would survive it, too”

Veronica Rossi
“In the afternoon, they stopped to eat on a rocky outcrop. Perry brushed a kiss on her cheek while she was chewing, and she learned that it was the loveliest thing to be kissed for no reason, even while chewing food. It brightened the woods, and the never sky, and everything.”

Veronica Rossi
“He watched as she pressed the berry to her lower lip. He kept looking at her mouth after she'd done it. He knew he should look away, but he couldn't. "Right. Good. If there's no stinging, you'd put it to your tongue."

Perry shot to his feet before he finished the words, nearly tripping over himself. He ran a hand over his head, feeling skitty, like he needed to laugh or run or do something. He picked up a stone and tossed it into the creek, trying to get the image of her tasting the berry out of his mind.”

Comments (showing 1-11)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 11: by Soumi (new) - added it

Soumi I have to read the book quickly

Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥ Yes, I am curious what you would think of it.

message 9: by Soumi (new) - added it

Soumi Rebecca ♥ Ash, Jem, Kishan ♥ wrote: "Yes, I am curious what you would think of it."
yes, I would like to buy the book, and this is out of market :( :(

Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥ Oh, I downloaded it in epub format.

message 7: by Soumi (new) - added it

Soumi Rebecca ♥ Ash, Jem, Kishan ♥ wrote: "Oh, I downloaded it in epub format."
I have an pdf but still there is always some book you like to keep for yourself :)

message 6: by Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥ (last edited Mar 05, 2012 09:39PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥ Yeah, but I dont buy books often. Only the very very best. This might be one of them in time, but right now I want to save my money for other books. Like The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1) by Julie Kagawa. I plan to buy that when it comes out. And I still need to buy The Iron King (Iron Fey, #1) by Julie Kagawa. I have The Iron Fey books 2, 3, and 4, but not 1.

message 5: by Soumi (new) - added it

Soumi Rebecca ♥ Ash, Jem, Kishan ♥ wrote: "Yeah, but I dont buy books often. Only the very very best. This might be one of them in time, but right now I want to save my money for other books. Like The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1) by Julie Kagawa. I ..."
Me too want to collect the whole Julie Kagawa writings. and Can't wait for The Immortal Rules

Brooke I agree that I find many YA books amateur, but lately I am finding many that are much better than in the past. I only found the first few chapters confusing as I was trying to get my bearings straight during world building. Once I got that straight it was slow or confusing for me at all. Actually, I had an easier time with the walking stuff then when they were in the dome! I agree that her change was natural and organic. That's a great way to put it! I found the fact that it made no reference to the past world interesting, and I really liked that a lot. Incarnate is similar in this respect. If you have not read that one, I think you would enjoy it as much as this one.

message 3: by Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥ (last edited Mar 06, 2012 07:07AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥ Brooke wrote: "I agree that I find many YA books amateur, but lately I am finding many that are much better than in the past. I only found the first few chapters confusing as I was trying to get my bearings strai..."

Yes, I have Incarnate, will hopefully read it soon.

Rebecca I totally agree with everything you said. Under The Never Sky was awesome!

Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥ Rebecca wrote: "I totally agree with everything you said. Under The Never Sky was awesome!"

I am glad you enjoyed it too. :)