NCPL Teenzone's Reviews > The Enemy

The Enemy by Charlie Higson

Dec 01, 11

bookshelves: zombies, ya, book-clubs, sci-fi, series, bulldog-book-club-roosevelt
Read from October 25 to November 30, 2011

It has been a year since the disease ravaged London, Those over 16 either died or became horrible disgusting monsters. The children and teenagers left behind have found shelter in abandoned buildings and have had to adapt in order to survive. They must hunt and scavenger for food and do whatever it takes to protect themselves.

If it is possible, things are getting worse. While they don't know what caused the disease and why only adults were affected, they have known how to survive up until now. The "Grown-ups", the zombies in human shells, have always been easy to kill but now they appear to be getting stronger, more organized, and even more dangerous.

When a teen named Jester shows up telling the Holloway gang that there is a thriving community living at Buckingham Palace, raising animals and growing food, the group must decide whether to stay in their relatively safe, known environment with dwindling food rations or make their way across the unknown dangerous city to the promise of a better life.

What or who is the real Enemy? Will they be able to survive?

Why I picked up the book: I haven't read any zombie books. My book group at Roosevelt chose this for their first book club.

Why I finished it: I had to know if they were going to survive, especially Small Sam. I think I would have a hard time surviving for a year with limited food and no electricity, so it is amazing to me that teens and children can adapt and try to survive. (Yeah, yeah I know. I'm an adult so the disease would have either killed me or turned me into the feared grown-ups!)

I'd give it to: teenagers, especially boys. Fans of zombies.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Enemy.