Bridget's Reviews > The Graveyard Book

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

Oct 29, 11

bookshelves: 2011-reads
Read in October, 2011

I've had this book for a few months, and decided that around Halloween would be a good time to read it. I was intrigued after several people mentioned to me that they had liked it, including my husband who listened to an audio version read by the author.

As a toddler, Nobody Owens' (nicknamed Bod) parents and sister were viciously murdered. He was spared when he wandered out of an open door, and made his way up the hill to the local graveyard. There, the inhabitants took him under their wing, to protect him from the murderer. The book tells the story of Bod, his life growing up in the graveyard, and eventually we learn why his family was killed.

I really, really liked this book. The very beginning was gruesome but still drew me in to the story. I found the story fascinating, and Gaiman does a wonderful job creating and introducing us to the cast of characters. I particularly liked the insertion of epitaphs when first introducing someone, and I loved it when Bod would speak to one of the cemetery inhabitants according to the time period where they had lived and died.

Though it takes place in a graveyard for the most part, this book is not a sad story. Bod's predicament and circumstances are tragic, but you get the feeling that he has a pretty great life. It's creepy towards the end when the murderer returns to try and finally kill Bod, but written well enough to be readable without being scary (I am easily spooked by things).

This is a book that I am really happy that I had the chance to read. If you haven't read it, I would definitely recommend that you give it a try.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Graveyard Book.

Katelb1123 Neil Gaiman was on Arthur!

Carol Curious to hear your reaction. This was the first Gaiman book I read and I really enjoyed it.

Bridget Carol wrote: "Curious to hear your reaction. This was the first Gaiman book I read and I really enjoyed it."

Loved it!