Carol's Reviews > This World We Live In

This World We Live In by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Oct 25, 11

In Life as We Knew It we meet Miranda who faithfully keeps a journal recording the world-changing events after a meteor crashed into the moon. The Dead and the Gone introduces us to Alex and Julie, trying to survive the same cataclysmic event in New York City. Once again, Miranda writes in her journal and tell us what is going on a year later in This World We Live In. Life hasn't become any easier for people a full year after the catastrophe, but people are surviving. Miranda along with her mother and two brothers have managed to stay in their home throughout the rough and lengthy winter. One spring day her father, his wife and their new baby along with three strangers show up on the doorstep. Things are tighter with six extra people, but they will manage anything to be able to stay together as a family. Romantic relationships pop up in some surprising (and not so surprising) places. Just when things seem to be looking up and a little bit of happiness is being felt by most Mother Nature decides to throw something else at them in the form of a devastating tornado!
Anyone who knows me and my reading habits knows that Post-Apocalyptic literature is my absolute favorite genre. The first book in this trilogy is among my top favorites because it was such a gripping and believable story. Book number two was good but nothing like number one. It was however, interesting to read the same events from a big-city perspective as opposed to the more rural setting of Life as We Knew It. The author did a good job of uniting the two groups in this concluding volume yet the first one remains my favorite of the three. I must say that Miranda got on my nerves a few times and I totally disagreed with some of her actions. Being as it was her journal we are reading it should be expected to get a little too much of her inner thoughts. All-in-all a good and positive conclusion to a fascinating series.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This World We Live In.