sonicbooming's Reviews > Where the Red Fern Grows

Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls

Oct 25, 11

Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls. I kid you not, I WORE THIS BOOK OUT! The spine broke and the pages fell out. I’m not sure why this book resonated so much with me as a child but something about it. A young boy who wants some hunting dogs. His dirt poor family (and they are literally dirt poor) cannot afford them, so the young boy takes that old faith-based message to heart: God helps those who help themselves. He scrimps and saves and finally earns enough to purchase two red-boned hounds. We watch him train these dogs and pretty soon they are known far and wide. There is a tragic accident, a big competition, family heartbreak and beautiful ending that moves me close to tears most every time I finish the novel.

It’s a very “southern” book by which I mean there are certain rural attitudes and ideologies that are being invoked: faith, family togetherness, hardship, tragedy, love, and much more.

It’s a short novel, something you could easily finish in a day. Perfect for a young boy of ten or eleven. As much as I try to remove myself from my American past and growing up in the south, my love for nature, camping, and the outdoors will always travel with me no matter where I am. This book tapped into those same loves. It’s a sweet story with a sad ending.

I need to purchase another copy, as the edition I had prior was thrown out because it completely fell apart. I am a big fan of my kindle, but I will admit that there is something beautiful about loving a book so much that it destroys itself in the process of reading.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where the Red Fern Grows.