anarki's Reviews > My Friend Leonard

My Friend Leonard by James Frey

Nov 07, 11

Read from October 25 to 31, 2011 — I own a copy

This is a follow-up for A Million Little Pieces. You should read AMLP before reading this one. I am deeply touched by AMLP. So I expected nothing less from this book. And as expected … It exceeded my expectations.

The story starts with James getting out from Rehab. Serving his jail-time and waiting until his time there dies out. The scary future full of hope with Lilly is what he's living for. Excitement and Anxiety flows with each beat of his heart each heartbeat spent without Lilly seems to be a waste of fucking time. A few seconds seemed to be an eternity if you're waiting. Eternity seemed to fit in a few seconds when you're in love. Prior to his exit from jail, Lilly calls. James, oblivious that they nearing their last exchange of words. As he goes to the world outside, his only thought is to see Lilly, it's as if it's the only thought left in his mind. Tragedy strikes. The world outside has nothing better to offer to him. Lilly put herself into oblivion. She evacuated her body.

The feeling the pain the guilt the regret the betrayal the loneliness the nothingness the emptiness the lost the rage the fury the feeling of destroying oneself cocooned James. He strives to find the strength he need to hold. To relapse and die to join Lilly or to move on hold on live and survive James have to make his choice.

Yeah, Don't get it wrong. This book isn't about their Love Story –part of it is but it's about his friend Leonard, a friend that he met when he was in the Treatment Center that later wants to have James as his Son. Throughout the story, Leonard plays the role of a father for the Stubborn James. He does whatever he can for James. Each time that they'll eating out together I join them. The way James write about the food always make me hungry as I read. Leonard is a fucking rich mobster too fucking rich. Leonard offers James everything but James as we all know him obviously says no he wants to stand on his own two feet. And so it goes … A story of friendship that's gonna touch your heart deeply and smash your heart into A Million Little Pieces … A life destroyed and a life recovered.

Enough for the attempt to summarize. My heart went through that as I were reading this. Even now. Though I have read the Smoking Gun and be wary of the controversy, that shit didn't matter to me. The truth I know is that James Frey is a very very very excellent writer. His unique fresh raw emotional writing style makes other books look like pussies. He keeps those pages turning. Captivating. Once you read one page, you can later feel your eyes glued to its pages and when you put it down your eyes stick and go with it. His streams-of-consciousness contactful narrative prose makes you despise time when it tells you to stop reading. An unorthodox structure that breaks the laws of traditional writing.

I was really into the story. Compared to A Million Little Pieces this is deeply more emotional. It's gripping. I laughed fucking hard screamed WHAT THE FUCK! A heavy book filled with raw feelings it's so emotive that I cried until my eyes hurt. Yet, I still continue reading. I feel wounded reading the story. The struggles the worse shit I felt it. Fuck yeah. Wounded people are beautiful. When I say wounded, it's in past tense –the means the wound is healed. So what heals most of wounds? They say time … not really. The world can't heal all wounds also … So what is it? … It's Love.

Love heals what the World and Time can't.

To hold on. Hold on because the shit will soon get better. To live with dignity To be bold Not bold to be fucking bold!

A Million Little Pieces and My Friend Leonard. These books are so fucking epic. Fiction or whatever, it doesn't matter to me. These simply touched my life and that's what it's about. It's not all about expressing oneself it's also about leaving fingerprints in every life one touches.

He left me fingerprints.
8 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Friend Leonard.

Quotes anarki Liked

James Frey
“Gauguin was a stockbroker in Paris, married, had five kids. One day he came home from work and told his wife he was leaving, that he was through supporting the family, that he had had enough. Just like that he fucking took off. He said he had always felt that he was a painter, so he moved to a rat-infested shithole and started painting. His wife begged him to come back, his bosses told him he was insane, he didn't care, he was following his heart. He left Paris, moved to Rouen, went from Rouen to Arles, from Arles to Tahiti. He was searching for peace, contentment, trying to fill that fucking hole he felt inside, and he believed he could fill it. He died in Tahiti, blind and crazy from syphilis, but he did it. He filled his fucking hole, made beautiful work, made beautiful, beautiful work... It takes a brave man to walk away, to care so much that he doesn't care about anything else, to be willing to obey what he feels inside, to be willing to suffer the consequences of living for himself. Every time I stand before his work it makes me cry, and I cry because I'm proud of him, and happy for him, and because I admire him.”
James Frey, My Friend Leonard

James Frey
“I miss everything. I miss talking to her, hearing about her day. I miss her voice all gravelly and smoky, I miss hearing her laugh, I miss getting her letters, writing her letters. I miss her eyes, and the smell of her hair, and the way her breath tasted. I fucking miss everything. I miss knowing she was around, because it helped me to know that she was around, someone like her existed. I guess most of all, I miss knowing I would see her again. I always thought I'd see her again.”
James Frey, My Friend Leonard

10/25/2011 page 46
11.0% "This is just really good. This just fucked me up and brought me back to life. James Frey. :) Can't wait till my shiFt ends."
10/26/2011 page 129
31.0% "It keeps getting better and better."
10/28/2011 page 136
33.0% "tsktsktsk. haven't read this for a day."
10/31/2011 page 416
100.0% "I messed up my eyes because of this. damn lacrimal glands. T-T This grabbed my heart. It's gonna hold my heart forever. One of the best books I ever read. James Frey! Thank you! Imma write a review after my shitt shift."

AriaTheBookNerd gawwwd you cried? ahahaha. :p

anarki i did i did. i am human after all.

AriaTheBookNerd hahaha. so gay. ahahaha. kidding. :p

anarki i feel a lot.

AriaTheBookNerd hahaha. good. :D

anarki even by just watching "100 days to heaven".

AriaTheBookNerd is that a movie?

anarki AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo!

anarki it's a teleserye.

AriaTheBookNerd wtf? seriously? hahaha.
I don't get to watch a lot of those.
No time. ahahaha

message 11: by anarki (last edited Nov 02, 2011 07:19PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

anarki ahahaha. i know :)it's a nice teleserye. ^^

message 12: by Sumeet (new)

Sumeet one of the sensible and most sincere review i have come across in a long time....:)