All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Blood and Bullets

Feb 09, 12

bookshelves: reviewed-by-abigail
Read in February, 2012

Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

Talk about a book that delivers on its cover! BLOOD AND BULLETS kicks off a brand new urban fantasy series featuring a wicked cool protagonist who’s a cross between Batman and Snake from Escape From New York. Deacon Chalk, monster bounty-hunter, packs every type of heat known to man (and some that aren’t). His arsenal is seriously impressive but no more so that Deacon himself. After name dropping a few uber famous UF characters like Anita, Cat and Bones, and Sam and Dean, Deacon’s debut proves he’s more that capable of hanging with the big boys.

I did have a few grumbles with Deacon. He’s a little too perfect, almost like a Saint. He owns a strip club full of girls he has rescued from one heinous situation or another and every last one of them adores him to a degree that borders on worship. They prance around him in g-strings, but he’s oblivious to them sexually. No straying eyes, no wandering thoughts that he has to battle. He treats them like an indulgent grandfather, bending down for kisses on the cheek and dispensing proud smiles. And that’s pretty much the way he is with every other non evil character in the book. He’s rescued them in the past and now they revere him like a savior. Yes, he was still in mourning over the murder of his wife and kids, but apart from one very random and uncomfortable breakdown in a club, it didn’t seem to have damaged him a whole lot. I wanted one flaw, one vice, one thing that he battled with and, at least occasionally, succumbed to.

Another thing that grew a bit tedious was the number of little lectures from Deacon. They started out very cool, almost like little side notes explaining various mythologies or Deacon’s well honed methods for killing, but they started happening too frequently and for everything. There was a whole page describing the take out he got from a Sushi restaurant, the merits of one song on the radio over another, or he' started repeating things he’d already told us like how fire could kill most supernatural creatures, except for Demons. These weren’t huge problems, but I did notice them and they did slow down the story for me.

Those complaints aside, I really liked BLOOD AND BULLETS. Deacon brings a heavy dose of testosterone that the female dominated urban fantasy genre has been waiting for. He carries a big gun, drives a beast of a car, and blows a fist sized hole into anything that gets in his way. The action scenes are plentiful and adrenalin fueled, and we get lines like, “…vampires never sparkle unless they just ate a stripper.” That’s reason enough to earn the next Deacon Chalk book, titled BLOOD AND SILVER and scheduled for publication on August 1, 2012, a spot on my To Be Read list.

Sexual Content:
References to rape. A scene of sensuality
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood and Bullets.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Great review, but it makes me NOT want to read the book. I'm starting to actively avoid UF written by men because I've been burned too many times - and this review hits all those weak spots. Comic book superhero protag who's too perfect, lots of explosions and not enough complexity. I'm feeling the lack of a great new series to follow.

All Things Urban Fantasy Mlle. wrote: "Great review, but it makes me NOT want to read the book. I'm starting to actively avoid UF written by men because I've been burned too many times - and this review hits all those weak spots. Comi..."

I hear you. I would check out an excerpt if you can. There is some fun stuff here, but I'm hoping some of the edges get smoothed over in the next book.

Hazel G. (I ♥ Mancandy) *Craves the Angst Reviews* . Love your review! I have this on my R2R list from PR&UFF but haven't gotten to it yet. I normally dont like to read reviews before reading the actual book, but I love your reviews, so when I saw it, I had to click..lol.. Sounds like I could go either way on this one.. love it or dislike it. Either way, Im looking forward to finding out.. I just have to get through two other books before I can get to this one :)

All Things Urban Fantasy Hazel wrote: "Love your review! I have this on my R2R list from PR&UFF but haven't gotten to it yet. I normally dont like to read reviews before reading the actual book, but I love your reviews, so when I saw it..."

Hope it works for you!