Melki's Reviews > Rise Again: A Zombie Thriller

Rise Again by Ben Tripp

Oct 28, 11

bookshelves: up-at-the-crack-of-doom, horror, they-re-coming-to-get-you-barbara
Read from October 25 to 28, 2011

Sheriff Danielle "Danny" Adelman is having the mother of all bad days. She wakes up late and hungover, to find her sullen kid sister has run away. She makes her way to town where crowds are already gathering for the 4th of July celebration. And what better way to nurse a hangover than to judge a chili cookoff? Word arrives that some boys have seen a dead body on the outskirts of town. Soon people are dropping like flies. The streets of town become clogged with vehicles and the dead. The few survivors are working hard to restore their town to some semblance of normalcy when someone hears a strange and chilling broadcast on the radio - "...will rise again. Repeat: The infected dead will rise again."

There's not a lot of new things that can be done with the zombie genre. The strength of this book lies with its cast of characters, particulary the strong females in the group. Danny is a Veteran with three tours in Iraq under her belt. A borderline alcoholic, she is suffering from PTSD, and obsessed with finding her sister, and keeping her small group together and safe. She is constantly ruminating her decisions, worrying that one of her actions may have cost someone his life. Such introspection is rare for a character in a horror novel and I found it refreshing.

Danny's group finds a temporary refuge while she goes alone to look for her sister, only to discover that some of the dead are evolving, becoming both faster and smarter. Things go from bad to worse with the arrival of Blackwater, oops! I mean - Hawkstone Security. (You can almost picture Haliburton skulking behind a pile of corpses, just waiting for their contract to start rebuilding...)

The survivors soon come to realize that roaming bands of zombies may not be as terrifying as the actions of their fellow men.

Fans of Robert Kirkman's Walking Dead graphic novels should find plenty here to hold their interest. I'm fairly immune to violence and gore, but I went "eeewwww!" a few times.

Be sure to visit author Tripp's website - http://www.riseagainthenovel.com/ for free downloads of zombie masks, bookmarks, holiday cards and alternative dust jackets that allow you to fool others into thinking that you are reading great literature, a textbook or a cookbook, instead of an entertaining zombie novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rise Again.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara Ann (new) - added it

Barbara Ann Great review! I have to read this. Since Walking Dead won't be back until February, I'm looking for a substitute. This looks like a good book!