Jessica Harrison's Reviews > Divergent

Oct 25, 11

bookshelves: reviewed, young-adult
Read in May, 2011 — I own a copy

Review via Cracking the Cover

Veronica Roth’s “Divergent” is exciting from beginning to end, and you won’t want to put it down until you’re finished.

It’s been a couple of months since I was last swept away with a novel like “Divergent.” Sure, I’ve liked a lot of books and even loved some others, but there’s nothing like being so engrossed with a book that you’d rather read than do anything else. In fact the only thing that made me put it down during my marathon read, was the arrival of two new bookcases for my office. Once they were in place, however, it was right back to “Divergent.”

There’s a driving force behind Veronica Roth’s writing that’s hard to explain. It’s like she grabs you by the collar and pulls you along, daring you to defy her editorial choices.

In Tris, readers will find a strong young woman who, like many girls her age, is trying to find her place in the world. All she knows is what her parents have taught her and what she’s been able to observe. Now, at 16, she’s learning to make her own life decisions and the consequences that come with them.

“Divergent” is Veronica’s debut novel, but you’d never know that by reading this thriller. Her well-thought-out work comes off as seasoned and spectacular.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.