Ameena's Reviews > Baby Proof

Baby Proof by Emily Giffin

Oct 25, 11

Read in October, 2011

Because someone once told me that Emily Giffin’s books are formulaic, fluffy, and devoid of any real plot, I’ve avoided them. But I was looking for a light pick-me-up last week, found Baby Proof at the library, and after being captivated from the very first page, I finished this book in 2 days flat.

I don’t recall who told me to avoid Emily Giffin’s books, but whoever you are, you have bad taste in books!

Anyway, this is the story of 35-year-old Claudia – a successful editor, a loyal sister, and a loving wife. Claudia’s life seems perfect until her husband Ben suddenly decides he wants to have a child, despite their previous decision to remain childless by choice. After her unexpected divorce, Claudia buries herself in her work, and turns to her family and friends for support as she tries to pick up the pieces.

Although she never stops loving Ben, she eventually moves forward and begins dating her dashing colleague Richard. And it is Richard, along with Claudia’s sisters, her best friend, and a smattering of other well-developed supporting characters, who allow Claudia to see what sacrifices she is willing to make to have the life that she really wants.

Thanks to Giffin’s engaging writing and thought-provoking characters, Baby Proof isn’t your typical chick-lit beach read. The author cleverly manages to include several strong supporting story lines, each with their own baby-related/marital issues, and these parallel stories allow the reader the benefit of seeing the challenges of parenthood and marriage from a number of opposing viewpoints.

As someone who always thought she was too selfish to have children, I can understand Claudia’s thought process perfectly. But as a mother who is now so lucky to have the unconditional love of a kid with a heart of gold, I can understand Ben’s need to have a child of his own. In short, Giffin’s remarkable insight allows the reader to relate to each character, and often on more than one level.

Bottom Line: Baby Proof is moving, honest, and thoughtful. An easy read, I finished this book quickly and have now moved on to read the rest of Emily Giffin’s books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Baby Proof.