Nicole's Reviews > Rotters

Rotters by Daniel Kraus

Jun 02, 12

bookshelves: death, bullying, family_drama, young_adult, odyssey_award, audio
Read in June, 2012

AMAZING. Also disturbing and upsetting and a very challenging read. Poor Joey loses his mother - the only family he's ever known - and is sent to live with a father he's never met. He goes from a loving over-attentive mother in Chicago to a neglectful father in smalltown Iowa. He has no money, no food in his absent father's shack, and he instantly becomes the outcast at a school full of social strata and rampant bullies. He is tortured (emotionally and physically) pretty much every moment of every day. And then one day he figures out that his father is a grave robber - and aspiring to become a grave robber like his father at least gives Joey an escape from dwelling on his misery. There are lots of plot twists and developments, but I needed to stay with Joey until the very end. No matter how difficult the reading experience, I just couldn't "abandon" him. In the end, he finds a measure of peace and stability (though I wouldn't necessarily call it a traditional "happy" ending). I would recommend this to anyone who can stomach the content - it was wonderful. And I'd recommend the audio in particular - Kirby Heyborne was impressive.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rotters.