Hayden's Reviews > The Book of Blood and Shadow

The Book of Blood and Shadow by Robin Wasserman

92056
Nov 03, 11

bookshelves: faith, historical, mystery, teen, suspense

I think calling this book either suspenseful or a mystery is kind of overselling it. It's not terrible, but I wouldn't have finished it if I weren't reading it for review. I'm having trouble imagining the reader that goes with this book, though I think that there probably are a few out there.

Nora is really into Latin, so she gets involved in a translation project at the local college, along with her charismatic friend Chris. They are translating letters from the late 16th century which discuss the Lumen Dei, a device that is never much explained but apparently would give its owner the power and insight of the Big Guy himself. But then Chris gets murdered. Who can Nora really trust, is anyone who they say they are, etc.

Like I said, not terrible, but to me it was slow for a book that is presumably supposed to be suspenseful. I wanted to hear more about the Lumen Dei, and what would happen if someone used it correctly, and why exactly everyone thought Nora was some kind of Chosen One. There is no indication on my ARC that this is the first in a series, but I imagine it probably is. YAWN.

My professional review will be kinder.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Blood and Shadow.