Maude's Reviews > The Mascot: Unraveling the Mystery of My Jewish Father's Nazi Boyhood

The Mascot by Mark Kurzem

I have read many, many Holocaust stories but this one was unlike any I had read before. His mother had told her son, five-year-old Alex Kurzem that they would all die the next day and not to be afraid. He escaped in the morning and saw his family shot by the soldiers after being placed in a large hole with many others. After running away he was picked up by a Nazi who was the only one who knew he was Jewish. He became a mascot and "honorary corporal" in the SS with his own uniform, and stayed with this group until liberation. But what began as a desperate bid for survival became a performance that delighted the highest ranks of the Nazi elite. And so a young Jewish boy ended up starring in a Nazi propaganda film.

After the war he moved to Australia, married and had children. It was in 1997 that he began his quest to remember what had happened to him and his family. Oddley enough, many of the Nazi's who knew him were now living in Australia and threatened him to remain quiet. It was to his son that he was able to remember his family members and what had really happened to him so many years ago.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mascot.