4brian's Reviews > Among the Hidden

Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix

U_50x66
Oct 25, 11

Read in October, 2011

This book has a few main characters. This book actually if you think about it, there are a ton of main characters. This book and the whole series talks about Shadow Children. Shadow children are the third child in a family or any child beyond the third. They made a new law that says each family can only have two children in there family. If they had a third or more the population police would take the child and kill it.

All of the shadow children just want to live like every other person can. They have to live in hiding. For example, Luke, a shadow child, when he was younger his family would let him wonder around in the field behind their house, now that he is older though, they are making him live inside all the time and has to do everything different just because he is the third child in his family. Luke one day sees that across the street, the family has a shadow child as well! He is braking his family rules and he runs across the street and meats this girl. Her name is Jane. Jane shows Luke all the ways shadow children can talk. They use a chat room that has a password so the government can't see that all of these kids are shadow children.

There are so many obstacles in this book. For example, Jane has a fake ID so she can go shopping with her mother and stuff like that. Jane, Luke, and all of the shadow children are sick of hiding, they have a plan that one night they will all leave there homes and enter the city. They have a huge plan made out that they will leave there home at night and never go back!

They deal with the obstacles by hiding till the plan to leave their home is ready and time to do. A lot of shadow children are not going to go with the plan. Luke doesn't go with the plan to leave home till another shadow child comes along and convinces Luke that it will be better to leave home. Luke when he leaves, keeps looking back till he can no longer see the roof of his house or Jane's house.

I really really enjoyed this book. If I get a chance, I will read the other books in this series. When I finished this book, I started thinking, "What would I do if I were in Luke's posisition. Would I leave home and never go back? Or would I stay at home and live in hiding for ever? I think I would have done what Luke did. Stay at home for an extra day or so and then go on my way and catch up to the other shadow children. If you have not read this book I really think you should. I loved this book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Among the Hidden.