Ann's Reviews > All is Forgotten, Nothing is Lost

All is Forgotten, Nothing is Lost by Lan Samantha Chang

Oct 26, 11

liked it
Read from October 25 to 26, 2011

I'm ambivalent. This is a beautifully written book. I had some issues with it, and I'm not sure if they were my issues or the book's issues. I was challenged by the decision to tell the story through the POV of a character who can only see others insofar as they may or may not temporarily ease his abandonment issues. It's gracefully and accurately done, but it also left me with a heartbreaking sense of the unknowability of the other characters, both for the protagonist and for me, seeing through him. I didn't like that feeling. On the other hand, that may well be the point.

Another issue, and this may be a bit of a SPOILER, is that by the end I was hearing echoes of Top Gun. Bernard/Goose was, I guess, just too pure to live. His death seemed to make some small measure of redemption possible for Roman, and I didn't like that either, I think because I felt a little suckered by it.

Although the book's main characters are poets, ultimately it's about any passion that drives a life. We go in blind, driven by desire. Things turn out differently than we'd imagined, and when we ask if it was worth it, we're never really sure of the answer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All is Forgotten, Nothing is Lost.