Ungelic_is_us's Reviews > The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin

Nov 17, 11

bookshelves: books-for-girls, fantasy, feminist, glbtq
Read from October 25 to November 17, 2011

Familiar with N,K Jemisin's short stories through Escape Pod and its sister podcasts, when I found this book at the thrift store I was delighted to pick it up. I found it difficult to get into at first, but once it got going the story and world-building were quite engrossing. Yeine is a fascinating character, and I'm quite curious where the triology will go from here. I only had one problem with this (mostly) satisfactory book, but it's a spoiler, so if you want the book to remain a mystery, turn back here.

Everyone who wishes to be unspoiled gone? Excellent.

I am so very, very, very, very, very tired of the "woman falls in love with sexy, sexy, dangerous, dangerous supernatural figure who warns her that doing it will make him kill her." Honestly: WHO IN THE REAL WORLD FINDS THAT SEXY?!?!?! AUGH. God DAMMIT, why can't I have a strong, female protagonist who is a warrior and extremely intelligent, who actually has the sense god gave a rabbit when it comes to dallying with self-professed predators who have already killed several (in Nahadoth's case, possibly thousands of) lovers? Seriously, if I wanted to read a crappy, in-love-with-danger romance I'd be spending my time with Charlaine Harris. Maybe I'm dense, or maybe I was just really hoping that she wouldn't go there, but I seriously didn't want to see the Yeine/Naha thing coming. And the ridiculous sex descriptions! OMFG. SO DONE. I would be SO FSCKING DONE with these books if they weren't fascinating, and given the literally divine ending I want to know what happens next. ARGH SO FRUSTRATING.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Krissasaur I had the same problem. I feel like she discarded plot for sexy times, which weren't even interesting, nor sexy. :/