Red Heaven's Reviews > The Reversal

The Reversal by Michael Connelly

U_50x66
Oct 25, 11

Objection!

Although I haven't read much of Connelly, I've loved almost everything I have read and so I consider myself a fan. This was my first interaction with Mickey Haller, and I wasn't enthusiastic about it, but I had it with me at the airport and decided it was going to be better than nothing.

Straight away, Red Heaven found the alternating between 1st and 3rd person incredibly annoying. The book never settled into a consistent tone as a result.

I also noticed that for a 400 page novel, the characterization of Haller and Bosch was minimal, and much of the focus - way too much, was on the trial.

Red also noticed that several alluring plot points were raised and then pretty much discarded. Was the stepfather involved in the murder? Was the killer a serial killer who buried his victims? The blurb on the back borders on deception as much is promised with Jessup out on bail, but hardly anything happens.

I found the circumstances of the crime fairly interesting, but there was so much more that could and should have been done. I needed a satisfying twist. Instead I got an ending that came jarringly out of nowhere, moving the plot in 90 degree angle and bringing the book to a screeching halt.

Red hated the ending of this book. After investing time reading 350 pages he got an ending that basically rendered those 350 pages irrelevant. It was a shocking way to treat the reader and the lack of meaningful resolution, the lack of paying off on any of the vaguely interesting plot points really sucks. The book is shallow and superficial and a pale imitation of his best work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Reversal.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Libri Òphiere Heller has not the Harry's blues mood! :-)