Auntee's Reviews > Zack

Zack by Cheyenne McCray

Dec 06, 08

bookshelves: romantic-suspense, erotic-romance
Recommended for: Fans of hot, contemporary romance
Read in December, 2008

This was a very nice, solid romance--easy to read, easy to like the characters--with a few erotic love scenes, some romantic tension, and a little mystery thrown in.

Skylar and Zack were lovers 10 years ago. He was her first, when she was a 19 yr. old freshman in college and he was a 23 year old sheriff's deputy. They spent an incredibly happy six months together, until it all ended one day after Zack was arrested. Although charges were never filed against Zack, he was afraid he had become just like his wildly abusive father, and that he'd never be good enough for Skylar. So he stupidly broke it off, leaving Skylar devastated and angry. Now it's 10 years later, and Zack is back in town, working as an agent for Immigration and Customs (ICE) and trying to solve a case involving cattle rustling. Sky now runs her father's ranch, and it seems that it's her prize cattle that are being targeted for theft.

When Sky and Zack lay eyes on each other again, even after ten years apart, the spark is still there. This time, Zack vows to himself, he won't walk away. But can he convince Sky to give him another chance? Is it possible that Sky could ever trust him again, and give him not just her body, but her heart as well?

I loved Zack and all he stood for and had been through. He had a hard life, with an abusive father and abusive step-father. He easily could have turned out the wrong way, but he was a good guy and a good son. And I had no doubt that he loved Sky, and was sincere about trying to win her back.

Sky was a little more stubborn. She made Zack work to win her trust, and at times I thought she was a little hard on him. But then the author explained her background a little, and I understood where her fears of giving her heart and being abandoned came from. And when Zack finally wore her down, well...let's say there was a big payoff. Chocolate cheesecake, anyone?

There was a little mystery thrown in about who was stealing the cattle and why, with me changing my mind a couple of times with who was the thief. And I thought Sky handled herself pretty well when confronted by the cattle rustlers, and fortunately used her head before her temper got the best of her. Of course, it helps to have a well trained dog who seemed almost human-like...

All in all, a pretty enjoyable read with a couple of characters who were easy to root for. If you're looking for a pretty hot read about former lovers reuniting and trying to make a future together, you can do no wrong with this book. 4 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zack.

12/03/2008 page 1
12/05/2008 page 215
70.72% "Whoa...chocolate cheesecake!"
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz Oooo you're brave trying this one out Auntee. It got 3 stars in RT and mixed reviews (though mostly bad I've seen) by readers.

Auntee I know, East, and I hope they were wrong!:) I can't remember what RT said about it, though. But I liked the other two in the series, and you know I'm not going to turn down a book where the hero's name is Zack (Zach)! lol!

message 3: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz LOL! Well let us know what you think. Hard to stop a series that you like that's for sure.

message 4: by Kathrynn (new)

Kathrynn This is part of a series? Do I need to read them in order?

Auntee No, not at all. I don't think it's really a series, just some characters appear in some of the other books. I'm not even sure if Zack appeared in the previous book--it's been a while but I'm going to check. I know all the books do take place in the southeast corner of Arizona--that's about all I'm sure of! lol!

message 6: by Kathrynn (new)

Kathrynn Cool. You don't need to spend time checking that out. I'm interested in this one, so I'm going to "check it out." I didn't want to have to read prior books in the/a series, though. Thank you!

Julie (jjmachshev) I liked it. Thought it read like a (very) souped up Harlequin Blaze...not deep, but definitely sexy
J

Auntee Yep, I agree. Nothing extreme, either.:)

Daisiemae I am about to read this one...looks very good! Great review my friend:)

Auntee Thanks--hope you enjoy it, Daisie!

MK (Food actvist) Great review, thanks!

message 12: by Celeste (new)

Celeste I need to just stop reading your reviews b/c you always make me want to go right out and get the book! My wallet can't afford your reviews anymore! :) jk. Really good review though and this one sounds like I'll like it a lot. Thx!

Auntee Oops! Sorry Celeste! I know what that's like--not being able to afford all the good books out there! Thanks--and I hope you like it!:)

Thanks Kenjii!