Cafelilybookreviews's Reviews > The Crossing

The Crossing by Serita Ann Jakes

Oct 25, 11

This book definitely hits close to home as the subject matter could be a relevant breaking news headline from any major network.

When a shooting takes place on a school bus, a beloved teacher and student are shot. The teacher doesn’t survive, yet ten years have gone by and the case remains unsolved due to missing evidence. This book is an emotional roller coaster as it touches on tragedy, grief, forgiveness and reconciliation. It also touches on posttraumatic stress as Claudia, one of the teenagers who was on the school bus, relives the shooting over and over in her nightmares as an adult.

While the overall storyline had the potential to be very good, the writing isn’t that great. More conservative readers should be aware that this book is very secular and includes quite a bit of sexual banter (some of it between Vic and Claudia who are married). Vic, also eyeballs a secretary in a tight fitting skirt. Other references are made to men "watching" women. There’s some graphic writing related to a rape scene and several mentions of domestic violence.

This is certainly not a light read and I didn’t enjoy it as much as I thought I would.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Crossing.