M.C.'s Reviews > Enthralled: Paranormal Diversions

Enthralled by Melissa Marr

Oct 25, 11

I really liked this anthology of paranormal stories.
I will write my impression on each one of them, and rate them separately, as well as the whole book.
Let me just say before I begin that most of these stories are based on series, or books, previously published by these authors. Of these, I have only read As You Wish by Jackson Pearce and Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr, but I had no trouble enjoying most of the short stories.

Giovanni's Farewell by Claudia Gray
I liked this ghost story, although I wish it was more fully fleshed-out. It has no romance to speak of, although there is a beautiful bond between two twins. 2.5/5

Scenic Route by Carrie Ryan
I absolutely loved this story that has to do with a zombie infested land. It was a bit creepy, but considering how easy I scare, it wasn't scary at all. It was really strong, and it made me think. 5/5

Red Run by Kami Garcia
Also a ghost story, interesting, and a bit more scary than the previous stories, although I thought it moved a bit slow. 2/5

Things About Love by Jackson Pearce.
I am afraid this story was the worst of the anthology. It had absolutely nothing to say to me. It is a continuation of the As You Wish book, so it is about genies, but nothing happens, I am afraid. 0/5

Niederwald by Rachel Vincent
This story about harpies must have something to do with some other books by this author, because I didn't understand a lot. It was beautifully written though, and it had something to say. My rating of this story is valid only for people who haven't read the other books in the series. 3/5

Merely Mortal by Melissa Marr
This story swept me away, completely. I even had a dream about it. (!) It is so romantic and sweet and magical. It feels like Christmas, reading this story. And, although I have only read the first book in the Wicked Lovely series, I had no problem understianding it. I think it is pretty much stand alone. It has to do with fairies, but the rest is a spoiler, so I won't say anything more. 5/5

Facing Facts by Kelley Armstrong
A lot of paranormal creatures here, a lot of growing up and coming to terms with one's past and guilt. I would have enjoyed this story more if I had read the other books by this author, still it was really well-written and it had a lot to say. 4/5
Let's Get this Undead Show on The Road by Sarah Rees Brennan
I really liked this story. There is a vampire in it, and humans, and it is very interesting. I loved the relationships between friends, the coming-of-age and the rock music. I think it was a smart story 3.5/5

Bridge by Jeri Smith-Ready
This is written in verse. I think there is a whole series with the same theme, but I truly loved the short story. It made me think. I couldn't put it out of my head for days. It's about a ghost trying to het in touch with his living brother. It is absolutely amazing in every way. The writing, the characters... It felt like reading a novel instead of just a short story. 5/5

Skin Contact by Kimberly Derting
Again, I don't know if I would have understood this better if I had read more books from this author. This is really scary and violent, and creepy. Some romance, some tragedy. 3/5

Leaving by Ally Condie
I don't know whether this was in the same world as her Matched series or not. But I loved it. It was romantic and deep. I loved the meaning of the whole 'leaving' idea and what it represented. It was also written beautifully. 5/5

At The Late Night, Double Feature, Picture Show by Jessica Verday
Ok, this story was just weird. And gory and creepy. And short, thankfully. 1/5

IV League by Margaret Stohl
Creepy. Weird. Vampires. Yuck. ?/5

Gargouille by Mary E. Pearson
This was another amazing story. Romantic and full of meaning. And adventure, too. I absolutely loved it. And it has a new genre of paranormal creatures, which I would love to see more of. 5/5

The Third Kind by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
This story was nice, I enjoyed it. Especially the ending. 2.5/5

Automatic by Rachel Caine
This one was romantic, but really short. 3/5

Overall, I read five incredible stories in this book. No matter what the rest of them were, this is enough for me to rate Enthralled four stars.

Rating: 4/5

BLOG http://bookshelfstories.blogspot.com
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Enthralled.