Lauren K's Reviews > Asenath

liked it
bookshelves: aww2012, aussie-author, historical
Read on January 03, 2012

This review was first posted @ The Australian Bookshelf

Asenath is the debut novel by Australian author Anna Patricio. The story of Joseph from the bible was one of her favourites; however she was intrigued by his Eyptian wife, Asenath. Patricio’s novel is a fictional account of Asenath’s life and her marriage to Joseph.

We are introduced to Asenath as a young girl, living in a fishing village and enjoying the blissful carefree life of a child. Her simple life is turned upside down when she is kidnapped along with many other children from the village by a jungle tribe. Luckily, Asenath escapes unscathed, only to return to her village where she is now orphaned.

A wealthy family of high status in the city adopt Asenath and so the once peasant girl from a fishing village named Kiya, becomes the elegant Lady Asenath with prestige in society. Despite her new path in life, she falls in love with a kind, caring steward, named Joseph. However, there are many obstacles placed in their way over many years that keep them apart.

Asenath, is written in a simple, almost child-like prose in the beginning and matures somewhat as Asenath ages in the story. The writing style was a little stop and start at times, but once I got into the flow, I found this story quite enjoyable. The romance is sweet and it was interesting to learn more about ancient history in Egypt, to which I have little knowledge of.

Asenath is a quick and engaging historical love-story from debut author, Anna Patricio.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Asenath.