Jaclyn Cotton's Reviews > Farsighted

Read from November 03 to 05, 2011

Farsighted by Emlyn Chand (read it on my blog by clicking HERE
Read my Interview with Emlyn Chand by clicking HERE

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Farsighted by Emlyn Chand is the first in a series of books about teenagers with various types of psychic gifts. One of these teens is Alex Kosmitoras who learns that he has psychic ‘visions’ which is ironic as Alex is blind. So for Alex, his ‘visions’ come in the very same way as he experiences the rest of the world, through his other senses.

When the story starts, we meet Alex as he is just about to begin another year of (high) school. At first he feels lonely, which he believes is largely because he lacks the ability to see. But Alex doesn’t let that stop him and has adapted, he is in mainstream classes without any sort of adult aide. He does require all his textbooks be special ordered in Braille which makes them much larger and heavier than his peers’ editions. Throughout the store Alex undergoes a lot of changes in respect to his newly found psychic gifts. Alex does get help and guidance from two sources, one of which, to Alex at least, is highly unlikely ally.

I gave Emlyn Chand’s Farsighted a 4 because I felt it took awhile for me to really get ‘into’ the story. I did enjoy the runes and ‘fortune’ given at the beginning of each chapter. As someone who lives with both a physical and invisible disability, I very much liked the synopsis of the book as not many [books] I find have a protagonist who has any sort of disability. I was also pleased that Alex has a couple of very good friends that don’t treat him differently just because he was born without vision.

I am very much looking forward to the next book in the series that we’re told will be narrated by someone other than Alex. Now I have a couple guesses, but am not going to share them as I do not want to give away too much of the story. And I thank the author Emlyn Chand and Novel Publicity for allowing me to join the Farsighted book tour.

Farsighted by Emlyn Chand is scheduled to be released in print on Nov. 24, 2011 and is currently available for Kindle on Amazon.com.

Links to corresponding posts on my blog:
Farsigted Review

I was also fortunate enough to interview Ms. Emlyn Chand and you can read my interview by going to the following link!
Interview with Author Emlyn Chand

** Disclaimer: I write book reviews on my blog, Jaclyn's Musings, and received a free copy of Farsighted as part of Novel Publicity's Book Tour in exchange for an honest review**
2 likes • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Farsighted.