Amanda Ball's Reviews > King Lear

King Lear by William Shakespeare

F_50x66
Oct 24, 11

Read in October, 2011

This was a great book, great plot and plots with in the plot. Many different yet relative topics, like betrayal, loyalty, jealousy, love, cruelty, etc... It kept you wanting to read more and wanting to find out what happens next most of the time. An attention grabber.
My favorite part of the book would have to be the ending, when everything comes together and yet falls apart at the same time. When they figure out the people behind the betrayals and the loyal friend is unveiled. When a character would rather die, than bring this truth out in public or go on trial. It brings out different feelings and tones in the book.
I would have to say my least favorite part of the book would have to be some of the characters, Edmund, Regan, Goneril, and possibly a few others because of their actions and thoughts. Yet without these kinds of characters you wouldn't have the best story. There are some characters I didn't 'like' or weren't the 'good' guys at the beginning of the story, but as it unfolded you could see more of who they were and it changes your perspective.
Quotes:
"The weight of this sad time we must obey,
Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say.
The oldest hath born most: we that are young
Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
The finale of the Shakespeare's tragedy's always has a line at the end that really concludes the whole thing and just finishes it off. This quote is said after they figure out all the causes of their problems and after many of the people who caused it and who were affected by it had died. After someone dies you never know quite what to say to the people affected by it, sometimes even when you have gone through it as well. You just let your thoughts out for better or for worse. But this quote leaves a mark.
"Nothing, my lord."
The sentence that puts the whole book into play. Cordelia is so "humble" that she won't say anything that she's not, unlike her sisters. But this humble sentence wasn't good enough for her father, King Lear, upsetting him and then her sisters because of jealousy. This sets the whole story spinning into action.

I would recommend this book, even if you don't think you're a Shakespearean type of readier it's a keeper and will pull you in! Exciting!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read King Lear.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brett (new)

Brett Thanks for getting this in Amanda. Glad you liked the book.