Sandy's Reviews > A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

1092085
Apr 15, 09

bookshelves: 2009, books-i-love, classics, historical-fiction
Read in April, 2009

An absolutely engaging read. Betty Smith had a talent for weaving all the seemingly trivial moments into a remarkable and entertaining story. It's impossible to read this book of a girl growing up poor in Brooklyn without taking a moment to pause, and be thankful for the things you have.

Francie is an altogether believable and realistic character, and it is hard for your heart not to go out to her, yet deep down you know, as her mother did, that she would be okay. Throughout the book, it's hard not to get caught up in all the moments as Francie grows up; to not want to laugh and cry right along with her.

I think this is a wonderful book for anyone to read, but even more so for younger girls who are just growing up themselves. I definitely would have loved to have read it when I was younger. Despite the fact that it is set in the early 1900's, I don't think any young girl would have trouble relating to Francie and everything she goes through while growing up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.

04/14/2009 page 363