Jim's Reviews > The Forever War

The Forever War by Joe Haldeman

Oct 28, 11

bookshelves: best-of-the-best, science-fiction
Read from October 24 to 27, 2011, read count: 1

Every once in a while you run across a great book that somehow escaped your notice. Many years ago, my introduction to science fiction was Heinlein's Starship Troopers, and that prompted my reading all the SF I could get my hands on. But this is the first Joe Haldeman I've read. The first of many, I'm sure.

The science in this book holds up quite well, and the accounts of how technology affects the lives of the characters is what makes this book appeal to me so much.

In the forward, Joe Haldeman tells the story of how this ebook reinstates the original text of the book. When the book was first written, he was unable to find a publisher for the book, but was able to serialize it in Analog SF&F Magazine. The version that appeared in Analog had the middle part of the book rewritten to make it less bleak, and that is what was originally published in hardback.

If you enjoy military science fiction, I highly recommend this book, as well as Starship Troopers and John Scalzi's Old Man's War series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forever War.