Gina (My Precious Blog)'s Reviews > Incarnate

Incarnate by Jodi Meadows

Oct 24, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: 2012-debut-authors, paranormal, library2go-books, dragons, own-on-kindle
Read from January 14 to 20, 2014 — I own a copy

I was lured into reading this one because of a readathon. I was able to pick it up on amazon for $1.99 which is always a screaming deal for an e-book in my opinion. In the beginning, I instantly felt a connection to Ana the "new soul". I seem to really be drawn to the underdog. She's very discriminated against because of her differences. In this story, every other character has been reincarnated for thousands of years. They all have multiple lifetimes of existence, experience and memories. Ana is a new soul. At the expense of her birth, another reincarnate Cianna did not come back. So, you see she already starts off on the wrong foot in her world. When we join the story Ana has just reached her 18th birthday. She's decided its time to live a life on her own, far away from her mother Li, who has been nothing but awful to her. Growing up Ana has been treated like a second class citizen. What's great though, is instead of ruining her character, causing her to feel sorry for herself it had the opposite affect. Her poor treatment made her resilient and determined to make something out of herself. I also like how she doesn't know if she will be reincarnated, so she lives her life to the fullest. Throughout the story she's very set on finding answers to all of her burning questions and this is the primary reason for her quest to Heart. The main city in Range, the area she lives in. On her journey to Heart, sylph attack her and she is recused by a young man called Sam. Immediately, I felt drawn to Sam. He was kind and treated Ana extremely well. He gave her confidence and ended up sharing a love for music with her. Music was a key commonality between the two. This story definite has its moments of being tense, action packed and chaotic. For me, though I felt the lion's share of the book was dedicated to the budding romance between Ana and Sam. I did enjoy the romance and how it grew and flourished thought the story, however, I do wish it would have stood more in the background. I was more invested in the evil temple, the acid breathing dragons and especially the mystery behind Ana being a new soul. The climax of this story was very spell bounding and exciting. Some of the book's alluring mysteries were solved, but there are still so many loose ends. This is an interesting kick off to a new series. I'm excited to continue forward, curious to see where Jodi Meadows will take me and the characters next time. I'd recommend this book to readers who like romance stories with endearing, sweet, relationships. Also, those fans of mystery and intrigue will enjoy this book too, especially discovering the secrets of the temple and the new souls. I'm not sure if this one will be 3.5 or 4 stars for me. If it weren't for the romance dominating the story, I certainly would rate it much higher.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Incarnate.

01/14/2014 marked as: currently-reading
01/14/2014
7.0% "Ana is so likable. I admire her resilience and desire to make her life worth living!"
01/14/2014
12.0% "Ana seems to either be accident prone or just a trouble magnet - but why did she scare of Sam. He's the only decent thing that's been in her sucky life thus far... come back Sam! She didn't mean it."
01/15/2014
14.0% "He's got his own cemetery, that's a bit strange?"
01/16/2014
48.0% "Finally - the Heart library hope it hold the answers she searches for."
01/18/2014
78.0% "A little too much romance lately. BUT something big is going down SAM vs LI - interesting turn of events -finally."
01/18/2014
79.0% "#IncarnateReadAThon Only a little over 20% to go, not sure I'm liking where this is going. Hopeful its gonna turn around quick!"
01/19/2014
88.0% "What the heck is up with that temple!?"
01/20/2014 marked as: read