Claudia's Reviews > Clay

Clay by David Almond

Oct 24, 11

bookshelves: 2011-book-challenge-150-books, suspense-fiction, ya-books
Read on October 24, 2011

What to say about CLAY? I think Brent said it best: Frankenstein meets Demian, meets The Outsiders, with a twist of the old Golem story. David and his best friend Geordie have it pretty good...they steal scramental wine from the church and cigarettes from their dads. They run the neighborhood, looking out for Mouldy, the school bully. They lead a typical life, until Stephen Rose comes to town.

Stephen comes to live with his Crazy Aunt Mary; his father is dead, and his mother is hospitalized in a mental hospital. Stephen was recently kicked out of seminary school. He seems to need friends, and you couldn't ask for better friends than Geordie and Davie.

But things start getting strange, and Stephen comes between the friends as he entices Davie to join him, modeling clay into -- a person. Stephen seems to have the power of creating life from inanimate clay. While this horrifies Davie, it inspires Stephen to more and more daring feats.

Disturbing, thought-provoking. Original...In this slim book, we're challenged to re-examine our beliefs as Davir is challenged.

A spooky tale for the week before Hallowe'en...Good and evil exist together and we wonder who will be redeemed.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clay.